Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey i looked at the slackware downloads and there were like 12 cds to download... but with loads of other distros the download is only 1 or 2 cds max... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

slackware install + firewall question

hey

i looked at the slackware downloads and there were like 12 cds to download... but with loads of other distros the download is only 1 or 2 cds max...

so whats the go?

do i need to download all 12 or just 1 or 2... if so which ones...

also is there a firewall that i can start before going online with slack as ubuntu doesn't/

oz
    forum.guy
    The full boxed Slackware set now comes on just 6 CDs, but you only need the first two to actually install Slackware. I don't know what the other CDs you saw were.
    oz

I believe that you were looking at the the iso.asc and the iso.md5 there two files help to check the integrity of the iso image after download .

for the firewall what i do usually it's to follow what it's done in the Linux from scratch project and that's fine Setting Up a Network Firewall.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The full boxed Slackware set now comes on just 6 CDs, but you only need the first two to actually install Slackware. I don't know what the other CDs you saw were.
    ok... this is where i found them: Index of /linux/slackware/slackware-12.0-iso

see how there are 12 isos each with their asc and md5 file....

so you are saying that i only need the first 2? thk for answer

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    I believe that you were looking at the the iso.asc and the iso.md5 there two files help to check the integrity of the iso image after download .

for the firewall what i do usually it's to follow what it's done in the Linux from scratch project and that's fine Setting Up a Network Firewall.

Regards.
    hey thk for the info.. will try it...

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I only see six Slackware 12 iso files, each with their respective asc and md5 files. Yes, you only need the first 2 iso files to install Slackware 12. The disks are labeled d1 through d6.

Then of course, there is also the Slackware 12 DVD iso file if you want to go with the DVD format rather than the CD format.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Just to add to the above to make sure you understand correctly...

If you want to install Slackware 12 using the CD format, you need the following two files:

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/s...install-d1.iso

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/s...install-d2.iso

Plus... if you wish to check the md5sums of each file, you'll need their respective md5 files.

Here's a HowTo for making sure you properly burn the images to CD:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html

Hope this helps.

oz
    oz

Just Joined!
    thk oscar... now at least i know i can download it in one night rather than have to wait 3 nights to get it...

i can burn it no problems

i noticed that you have arch linux... i tried installing but the wiki instruction make me lost,,, is install with slack easier and is arch better?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Learn!ng View Post
    i noticed that you have arch linux... i tried installing but the wiki instruction make me lost,,, is install with slack easier and is arch better?
    I'd say the installation is about the same, but I've installed both many times. I use Arch as my default distro because of the package manager, Pacman.
    oz

Just Joined!
    so how then with the updates and slack.... i download more files and manual updating takes place offline?

also is the slack has a development for ppl to customise the kernel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast