Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want a GNOME desktop but I don't know how to config it. After I installed Slackware I got a black nd white screen. So I login in with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question New to linux: No desktop How do I setup up

Hi,
    I want a GNOME desktop but I don't know how to config it. After I installed Slackware I got a black nd white screen. So I login in with root and password.
    got he prompt root@darkstar

So what do I do to install GNOME desktop ? Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux, the forums, and Slackware in particular

Slackware doesn't boot into a graphical mode by default. Slack doesn't do much by default for that matter. It's up to you to build the machine from this point onwards. It's some effort, but if you know what you're doing you can have the fastest, savest and greatest any purpose machine.

If you however want Gnome as desktop and you don't know how to get into graphics mode (yet), perhaps you'll feel more at home in one of the (they call it) easier distro's. Have you considered running Ubuntu?

Otherwise, type <telinit 4> or <startx> and you're in graphics! Slackware isn't easy on new Linux users, but very rewarding. If you decide to stick with it, expect a steep learning curve.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If I remember correctly Slackware no longer includes GNOME by default, so you would have to install something like Drop Line GNOME. KDE and XFCE are available on the installation discs.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you want to boot up to your desktop without startx everytime. Edit the /etc/inittab file change the the id to 4 it will look like (id:4:initdefault). This will have to be done as root.

If you need any help let me know

Just Joined!
    Try startx to start the desktop. During installation you should have chosen a desktop manager if you did a full 2 disk install. If start x doesnt work the run Xorg and edit the Xorg.conf file if need be to set up mouse, etc. That file should be located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    As far as Gnome goes you will have to download it and install it. That is a rather tedious process if you are familiar with linux.
    C'mon guy don't give vague answers...
    hutch

Quote Originally Posted by linuxplusalpha View Post
    Hi,
    I want a GNOME desktop but I don't know how to config it. After I installed Slackware I got a black nd white screen. So I login in with root and password.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxplusalpha View Post
    Hi,

Once logged in as root, you can run the xorgconfig command:

Code:
    xorgconfig
    A script will run asking you questions about your hardware, such as keyboard, mouse, video card, monitor, etc. Once the script has finished, it will write the info to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and you should be able to start the X server as suggested above, with the startx command.

One of the first things you should do is to create a new user by running the adduser command. Another script will run asking you questions about the new user. Once done, you can exit root, and begin to work as a normal user.

Regarding Gnome, consider Dropline Gnome as suggested above.

You can get lots of good Slackware information from the online book:

The Revised Slackware Book Project

Post back should you have other questions.

Have fun with Linux!
    oz

Just Joined!

good answer!

Ahh I forgot about xorgconfig... Its been so long since I've had to configure xwin. None the less, good answer.

If your wondering why my praise comes about it is because of this: I have been using linux for about 8 years now. Normally its a "One Mission" use. I need to set up a webserver for in house testing, so I set up apache. I need to run a ftp site so ppl can upload large graphic files to us at work, etc... So I learn proftpd or vsftpd, etc... One mission, learn One thing.

Currently I am setting up a HylaFaz server to use at work on Slackware, so you can imagine all the reading I am doing to learn about setting that up. My basis in my prior post stating "Dont be vague Guys" in the answers is because I have found that the normal response to questions is based on the presumtion that the person asking the question knows fully the OS they are inquiring about...

For example: How do I start Xwin on slackware?

Typical Response: First add a user, then su as root then tweak the flux capacitor followed by a kernel rebuild. rm -rf all the tty's then run startx via console in a bash shell. Dont forget to cron your two left nipples...

Now I know thats is all wrong and out of context, but thats what the person asking the question see's and feels. "The answer makes no sense to me" is where the person trying to learn is left. Askng themseleves wtf does that mean?

SO good answer...

Just Joined!
    Rule of thumb: do not ask questions covered in HOWTOs and FAQs.
    The SlackBook has a whole chapter about X.

that rule doesn't work if the person posting didn't know about the book, faq or how to
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557