Find the answer to your Linux question:
New installation of a Slackware 12.0 subscription here. For some reason, useradd is giving me problems. I have a root user, but useradd isn't adding a normal usable account. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trouble creating a user account

New installation of a Slackware 12.0 subscription here. For some reason, useradd is giving me problems.

I have a root user, but useradd isn't adding a normal usable account.

It doesn't create a /home/username directory, and I think this is the reason why I also can't get startx to give me anything. startx brings up KDE fine under the root account.

I've looked at the man pages, but can't figure out if I need the -d or -D switch. Any hints would be appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    What about the adduser command? Does it work, or do you ge the same results?
    oz

Sorry, I meant adduser. It gives me an account I can log into, after I change the password. But startx as this user gives me a blank screen and a timeout after a couple of minutes. Like I said, root has no problem bringing up KDE. This makes no sense to me, because they're both using the same xorg.config.

Also, there's no /home/username directory - which is probably why startx doesn't work.

I'm sharing a /home partition with Fedora, but using different usernames. That shouldn't be a problem, but I'm beginning to wonder.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never tried sharing a /home directory, but take a look at this howto and see if it offers any clues:

Dual boot with two Linux, using the same home directory | Linux Operating system; Configuration, How to and news focused on (Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Centos)

I'm thinking the problem might have something to do with permission issues and your UID/GUID as discussed toward the bottom of the page. Not really sure, though.
    oz

Apparently useradd and adduser are both valid commands, and I simply was entering the wrong one. So, I wasn't being prompted for room number, phone number, and all the other info. It was simply adding the login and nothing else.

Everything is working fine with sharing /home with Fedora. As long as usernames are kept separate, there is no problem.

For the benefit of others who might be reading: there are problems when using the same username on the same /home partition between two different distributions. That is not a good idea.

ozar, thank you! My system and Slackware have been very unfriendly toward each other for 2 years. I now finally have it running.

oz
    forum.guy
    Great! Glad you got it all worked out...
    oz

Apparently adduser will go ahead and create the
    home directory for you. useradd -d with no arguments
    should do the same. I've tripped on this issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    Apparently adduser will go ahead and create the
    home directory for you. useradd -d with no arguments
    should do the same. I've tripped on this issue before.
    I didn't use the -d switch, so that's what was happening. It's easy to do.

I appreciate the reply.