Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello everyone, everythin worked fine for while, hence been away - but when it comes to update troubles start, hence me coming back! just upgraded to slackware 12 with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Smile slack 12 - conqueror works - other browsers don't

hello everyone,
    everythin worked fine for while, hence been away - but when it comes to update troubles start, hence me coming back!
    just upgraded to slackware 12 with the newly supported 2.6.21.5kernel and it seemed a perfect installation (as ever)! everything went smoothly! - nevertheless, when i started the new OS i realized something weird! - the standard default web browser 'conqueror' works fine (opens webpages, i.e. google, hotmail, linuxforums etc.) however the additional browsers 'firefox' and 'sea monkey' don't! it seems that they are blocked from loading webpages by some kind of incorrect settings, (just a guess tho). honestly i dont know what to try and where to fiddle, as i have never encountered such a problem on linux slackware. - i tried to use 'firefox' and 'seamonkey' as /root but it didnt change, which make me believe that it's not about permission!
    has anyone encountered a similar problem? and if so, how was it resolved?
    many thanx
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Oops, I guess you broke it

Upgrade you say? Did you follow the precise Slackware howto on upgrading? If you didn't, then that is probably where you went wrong.

I hate to say this, but reinstall is probably the easiest way out of this. It's not the only way, there is the manual way of course. I leave that to you to decide.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie
    hello there, perhaps I mixed up the wording, upgrade-update - however what i meant to say was that i did a clean install from slackware 12 ISO DVD - i had no error msgs during the installation process and the DVD was burned quite successfully - however, as soon as I started slack12 for the first time on my machine that problem (conqueror worked other web-browser didn't) already existed! - so, still think that another clean install would resolve the problem? - if so, I'll be happy to do it! by the way, i have checked all security features of individual web-browser i.e. privacy, cookies, permission, network settings, filters, etc... and still no luck!
    any help pls?
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

Just as an experiment, go into your .mozilla directory and rename your firefox directory, then restart firefox. If it comes up alright, then transfer your bookmarks over to your new firefox/***.default folder and proceed from there. I've run into situations where firefox refused to open or load pages correctly and this has worked.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    many thnx, I'll give it go and let you know what happened
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    unlucky as usual with linux!
    i tried to rename the directory .firefox as u mentioned, but i realized that as i do that and try to open the firefox-webbrowser another .firefox directory is created and still no webpages loaded!
    really frustrating- i'd be tempted to do a clean installation of slackware 12 from DVD but as every unix-based-system user, i'm now very intrigued to know why that happens and what the solutions would be!
    so before i go ahead with another installation (which honestly i dont see how it could fix this problem) i'll wait a little longer, fiddle around a little more, and in the meantime I hope for some more suggestions!
    thanx anyway!
    Zen

Run from the command line:
    Code:
    firefox -jsconsole
    You can likely over look any errors that say, "Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to call method Location.toString," but see if you get others...

Note: Error console window might hide behind the browser window.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 09-02-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Linux Newbie
    nope! nothing! nada! still not working! tried that 'firefox -jsconsole' but first of all firefox didnt load as usual! and second it didnt give me any error msgs at all! what does that mean?
    sob sob! about to give up and proceed with a new clean installation, (although i doubt any improvements...), however, any few more suggestion before then will be welcome! thnx
    still very intrigued how 'conqueror' web browser works totally fine but neither 'firefox' nor 'sea monkey' do!
    the world of linux is ....... infinite!
    Zen

Linux Newbie
    so, no one has had such a problem and no one knows how to fix it! could it be a bug on the new slack12? - however, I thought i'd post this as well - I reinstalled slackware12 from scratch, and still no luck!
    many thanx anyway!
    Zen

Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    so, no one has had such a problem and no one knows how to fix it! could it be a bug on the new slack12? - however, I thought i'd post this as well - I reinstalled slackware12 from scratch, and still no luck!
    many thanx anyway!
    This is just so weird I'm at a loss...

Nothing about this makes any sense to me. I have Slackware 12 running on two boxes, a wired desktop pc and a wireless laptop and both run Firefox perfectly. It makes no sense that konqueror will go online and the others won't. If konqueror works, the other browsers should work too.

I'd contact your ISP and see if they have any ideas. Possibly they're doing some sort of rediculous filtering on net traffic. That'd be highly unusual I think, but nothing else seems to make sense...

Sorry I couldn't help you...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast