Find the answer to your Linux question:
Clean install and the first time I boot the operating system it freezes on the following line. cs: IO probe 0x800 - 0x80f It makes similar checks above but it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 12 freezes during boot.

Clean install and the first time I boot the operating system it freezes on the following line.

cs: IO probe 0x800 - 0x80f

It makes similar checks above but it only freezes on this line. the others end with something like this: cs: IO probe 0x??? - 0x??? clean.

The computer I am installing this on is a brand new laptop. So I am guessing the problem has something to do with unsupported hardware.

I have tried using the cd to start the operating system but it fails at the same point.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks.

- Makieo

oz
    forum.guy
    The only thing I can think of is to try experimenting with some of the various boot options that are available to you through the F-keys right before the CD begins to boot up.

I'd first try the options dealing with acpi and apci, such as acpi=off

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ozar, thanks for the reply.

Your suggestion worked. acpi =off got me started up. Do you have any suggestions or a place I could looking as to what would be the problem with the acpi support? The only think I can think of is to check if slackwares version of acpi is the most current. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

- Makieo

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad you got it going!

I'm not certain, but I think there's a bareacpi.i kernel image on the Slackware CDs/DVD somewhere that you can utilize for acpi support. There should be instructions for using it on the disk, too. Otherwise, you can probably recompile your present kernel for acpi support.
    oz