Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a T40 IBM Thinkpad with an integrated Wireless Wide Area Network, Intel PRO/Wireless LAN. And i would rather like to connect to the internet using my Slackware v.10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ibm Thinkpad !

I have a T40 IBM Thinkpad with an integrated Wireless Wide Area Network, Intel PRO/Wireless LAN. And i would rather like to connect to the internet using my Slackware v.10 partition. Has anyone got any tips / knowledge /advice upon how to do this?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You need to check what chipset is in the card and that will determine whether there are opensource drivers available for it or whether you have to use ndiswrapper. To check what chipset is in your wireless card, run
    Code:
    #lspci | grep -i net

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply, i have run that command but i haven't got it installed,
    it gives me an error message of command not found:

I have downloaded and make installed ndiswrapper,
    however i do not know what to do next.
    i will Google for some compatible hardware detection commands

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You need to be root (the # in commands means you need to be root). As a normal user, you can use the full path name which is /sbin/lspci.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    root@Azrial:¬#  lspci | grep Ethernet
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82540 Gigabyte Ethernet Controller (mobile) (rev 03)
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11ABG NIC (rev 01)
    wicked!
    The command works i have an atheros 802.11, which means i can install madwifi.
    However upon installation came up with a few errors which i am trying to work out.
    I need to become familer with cmd line, cdrecord so i can copy and transfer all of the paste bin, to this internet connected computer to show you. However heres the errors.

Code:
    if_ath.c: In function 'ath_stop_LOCKED':
    if_ath.c:2301: warning: implicit declaration of function 'preempt_disable'
    if_ath.c:2301: warning: implicit declaration of function 'preempt_disable_no_resched'
    make[3] ***[if_ath.o] Error 1
    make[3] Leaving directory '/root/madwifi-dfs-r2655-20070817/ath'
    make[2] *** [_mod/root/madwifi-dfs-r2655-20070817/ath] Error 2
    make[2] Leaving directory /'usr/src/linux-2.4.26'
    make[1] *** [all] Error2
    make[1] Leaving directory '/root/madwifi-dfs-r2655-20070817/ath'
    make: ***[modules] Error 1
    1. I think, its either madwifi cannot find the kernel source
    2. Its the wrong version of madwifi
    3. Dependency problem

Just Joined!
    I just installed the madwifi on openSuse. I had to install the Kernel-source (was not installed as a default) and had to install the compiler before using the make and Make install commands.

and just to let you knew,My wireless card is working (i could scan for available networks), but I was not able to configure it to link to any network. I am still trying

Smikail