Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all, I'm in need of some assistance with installing. I Use cfdisk to make my primary with no swap, it's a blank 320GB drive, then I write it. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 12 install help please!

Hey all, I'm in need of some assistance with installing. I Use cfdisk to make my primary with no swap, it's a blank 320GB drive, then I write it. After writing is complete I go down to quit, Then type in setup and hit enter. Now, I choose my target and Media/Packages and that good stuff, I do a full install 4.5+GB. It starts to install, but when it gets to a certain point of installation on a package it just stays there for a long time, more than 45 mins. I'm not sure whats going on, Last time it froze on php, every time its a different package. Help please :Sad: .

Is that the only os on the drive or is it a multi boot setup?

Just Joined!
    Theres nothing on it yet, besides the linux partition im making for slackware. It's a fresh SATA 320GB seagate 7200.10. Just now I tried installing again, and it got stuck on KDEartwork for 20 mins so i just rebooted and turned my other HDD back on. Some help would be greatly appreciated .

Sounds like you need to burn a new copy of the DVD install disc, and maybe even run a checksum on the iso, if it is bad, then download a new iso.

linux needs at least one swap partition on your drive. here is a page from the docs about partitioning.

Installing Slackware Linux
    Slackware Linux Essentials

here is the fdisk output from my pc. just to show you what it looks like when setup.
    root@box1:/home/jimmy# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80032038912 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9730 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 365 2931831 5 Extended
    /dev/sda2 * 366 9730 75224362+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda5 1 365 2931799+ 82 Linux swap
    root@box1:/home/jimmy#

Just Joined!
    I see, How much space do you recommend I use for the primary linux and how much for the swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Gimp:)
    I see, How much space do you recommend I use for the primary linux and how much for the swap?
    For the root partition I'd recommend anywhere between 5Gb and 10GB. To be on the safe side, about 7.5-10 GB. If you plan on testing other distro's in the future, you might as well prepare for that and make a 5-6GB partition for that purpose. This is optional however, but since I've done this I've been very happy with it.

For swap 2xRAM up to a maximum of 1GB is a rule of thumb. Some say with more than 1GB of RAM you don't even need swap. I've got 512MB shared RAM and only seldom use swap on Slack. In my experience another 500MB of swap is more than enough.

What you want to do with the rest of your drive is up to you. You can put the entire remaining ~ 310GB under /home. Or you can divide it up further as you see fit. Maybe you want a 250GB /music partition?
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

re-partioning for Slackware

Heres a quick and easy cheat for partitioning prior to installing Slack 12.Use the auto-partition function in the Mandriva installer.Once partitioning is done reboot and insert your Slack disc.I would check your install disc too,as I had the same type of problems with freezing on packages.The disc is bad.Get another and try again.Good luck.

Linux Enthusiast
    I just happened to install Slackware 12 as virtual OS using KVM (posting this from it). After full install it is using 4.6 GB of space. I have 1 GB swap partition (for 512 MB of allocated RAM). You can create swap partition in cfdisk by making it type: 82. The installer will recognize it.

As far as installation goes, I had that problem too (while using swap), which I fixed by installing from .iso image instead of using DVD. The DVD disk was good because the .iso image that worked was created from it. I think the problem may be the difference in speed at which disk was created and at which it is being read during the installation (if CD/DVD ROM is very old, it doesn't read fast).

Your situation is a bit different than mine because you are installing it on a bare hardware and you cannot use .iso. What you can do is try burning new disk at lower speed and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast