Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Still a newbie and need help: 1. setting up a canoni550 bubble jet printer. 2. how do I printout man pages? 3. Does hal create a seperate group for each ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware12 Post Install Xfce Config Questions

Still a newbie and need help:
    1. setting up a canoni550 bubble jet printer.
    2. how do I printout man pages?
    3. Does hal create a seperate group for each device, ie. cdrom, video card, audio, etc? If it does where do I find the groups so I can add /home/usr?
    4. I have been reading udev rules and am wondering where to find template that I can use to add rules?
    5. How do you install sudo?
    6. Should I set home/usr as the path for my shell, vi, and bsh? If so, how do I do it? This would make it easier to find any file I work on? Right?
    7. Also once install is done does fstab exist? Is it a file or directory? Or do I have to create it? If it exist, where is it?
    Should be in /etc/fstab??? How do I read it if it exist? And do I have to edit /fstab under w/this new hal layer in place?

Quote Originally Posted by NightSky View Post
    1. setting up a canoni550 bubble jet printer
    You have to use cups printing system .

2. how do I printout man pages?
    what do you mean by man pages, is the standard man pages for Linux ? if yes let's say for ifconfig , man ifconfig | col -b | lp command will print them.

3. Does hal create a seperate group for each device, ie. cdrom, video card, audio, etc? If it does where do I find the groups so I can add /home/usr?
    it's the plugdev group in Slackware, if you don't know how to manage the groups from the command line it's better to use a GUI first like kusers, or you can use usermod to set new information about a user example .
    usermod -g users -G plugdev,audio,video tony

4. I have been reading udev rules and am wondering where to find template that I can use to add rules?
    I don't know how exactly , but i never had to do .what you need from this ?

5. How do you install sudo?
    edit the /etc/sudoers file and then add %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL , so all users in the group admin can run administrator task

6. Should I set home/usr as the path for my shell, vi, and bsh? If so, how do I do it? This would make it easier to find any file I work on? Right?
    The shell is the way to communicate with the operating system, and the shell binaries are in /bin .if you already created a user then the default shell it's bash if you can to change it use chsh /bin/csh for example , you can check your shell by echo $SHELL .
    creating a user called tony with bash shell is the following .
    useradd -s /bin/bash -d /home/tony -m -g users -G (list of groups) -p (password) tony .

7. Also once install is done does fstab exist? Is it a file or directory? Or do I have to create it? If it exist, where is it?
    Should be in /etc/fstab??? How do I read it if it exist? And do I have to edit /fstab under w/this new hal layer in place?
    the fstab usually contains the configuration file of the mounted partition , HAL can mount a new inserted devices ,so you can say that fstab it's to mount a fixed device like your HDD and HAL for plug and play devices .
    usually you don't have to play with the fstab file in /etc, but using Slackware it's always related to edit text files for configuration of everything .

Hope this Help
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!

thanks so much aliov

The difference from distro to distro makes things more confusing. Will print and try your responses.
    Udev is because there is a 'udev trigger' error message, seems to request I udev something... but with hal I have read that u do not change the original file but add policies by creating your own file but to do this you have to know the format other wise you get a parsing error.
    I look thru filesystem in xfce using gui and mouse pad to figure out format. Xfce has a template option and I thought if I could just get some files copied as templates it would make life easier. Thanks again

What is the error message that you get from udev trigger,

Believe me you don't have to play with the policies of HAL or Dbus, all what you have it's to add your self to the plugdev,audio,video,scanner,users,cdrom groups .

Regards.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    aliov, Added myself manually to the recommended groups. Added /dev/hdc cd-wr and second floppy fd1 and have Cups in printing system settings. Frustrated, no printer, no sound in Xfce working.

Question2 was about if I am reading 'man udev' in the documentation how would I print it out? But I need to get printer working first. lol

Error message: "Trigerin udev Events sbin/udev trigger, failed"

Trying to setup sound just to get something to do anything but only cd player I have is audacious, when I try to play cd it says to use xfmedia. Audacious does not find the media and I get a pop asking if all the necessary plug ins are available. I can mount data cd. Thanks

Slackware will not detect your sound card unless you run alsaconf as root and see if alsa detects correctly your sound card .

for the man pages this is the command but sure after setting up ths printer .

man udev | col -b | lp
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Have run: #alsaconf -- #alsamixer --- #alsactl store
    The sound pci was detected and shows up in the asla settings, in Xfce, I have 2speakers in monitor and 2external speakers connected to the board.
    I can hear cd very under static noise when I increase volume settings in alsamixer but Audacious is unresponsive and I hear click when turn off external speakers . Sound Card worked on pre slackware12 installs.

FYI the udev trigger is for usb memory sticks and I think digital camera, it comes up because I used flash memory for boot disk.
    Still checking cups directories to see if there is a driver for my printer, there is also gimp - my have a driver, and something else I was reading. Anyway thanks will write down the code. Frugalware.org has drivers.

Can I empty out /home/usr .cache ? If so how? Trying to get rid of some trash xscreensaver messages and read somewhere to try emptying /home/usr/ .cache but did not say how to do it.

Need to find Xfce forum. I want to do this:
    xfmountdev4 /dev/mount/point
    - for Thunar file manager tried entering that line in $ and as # but all I got was " /usr/bin/xfmount dev4:The mount point /dev/mount/point does not exist". How do I create that mount point for Thunar to mount and unmount?

you want to delete the configuration file in your home directory ! if yes, then open a terminal ls -lsah will show everything inside your home directory .

rm .xxxx (for files)
    rm -rf .xxxx (for folders) .

be careful with the rm command !

i never used xfmountdev4 but i imagine it's the same idea as mount , so you have to mount a inode device to a mount point for example :

mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 dir .

this will mount the device sda1 with filesystem type ext3 to the directory called dir .

Regards.
    Archost.

Just Joined!

Empty Cache

Aliov,

Don't think I want to delete Configuration files? If I do that what will happen?
    Think I just want to empty out Cache.. isn't emptying Cache like emptying Temp files?

Really appreciate all your help.

Sometimes yes there is need to delete configuration file (rarely) . delete the configuration file of your Home directory it's like initialization, for example if you delete the .config folder then the xfce session will be initialized as if you made a clean install of the system (all the custom size of panels,icons,.....) will be set to the default values .

the temporary directory of Linux it's /tmp ,not all the applications use this directory to place temporary files .for example firefox will place the cache and the cookies in .mozilla in your home directory, thunderbird in .thunderbird , and many other example .

please let me know if this is clear .

Regards.
    Archost.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast