Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i'm trying to get internet working via wifi on backtrack with no success. I've manually connected to my wireless network using ifconfig and have received an ip address using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

changing default network interface

hi, i'm trying to get internet working via wifi on backtrack with no success. I've manually connected to my wireless network using ifconfig and have received an ip address using dhcpcd. My konqueror web browser won't work though, if i restore my wired connection with ifconfig eth0 up, konqueror works ok. I know that my wireless connection is good because i can ping but only after specifying the interface. ping www.ireland.com -i wlan0
    So basically I need to change my default network interface from eth0 to wlan0 because i think konqueror is only using eth0, any ideas how this can be done ?
    thanks in advance

go to /etc/udev/rules.d and edit the file 75-network-devices.rules , you can find the default name of the network interfaces there .
    for more information refer to this thread http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sus...ethx-ethy.html
    Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm, I can't see the 75-network-devices.rules file but I can see z25_persistent-net.rules which has the line
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:0c:29:98:5a:fd", NAME="eth0"
    So I changed eth0 to wlan0 however I don't have /lib/udev/rename_netiface do implement the change. I did try reboot but no improvement.
    Can you confirm that changing the default interface is what I need to do in order to get my internet (web browser) working ?

I don't personally use slackware ... but I think you need to just edit some init.d scripts for startup services. Have a look at this page for some config files in slackware that might help
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    I didn't find the the answer directly from that website but it gave me some food for thought. I eventually stumbled upon /etc/network/interfaces The contents of which were:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

So basically I changed eth0 to wlan0 and in order for it to take effect I first downed eth0 and then brought up wlan0 with:
    ifdown eth0
    ifup wlan0
    I ran ifconfig to make sure eth0 surely was down then setup my wlan0 to connect to the network and now everything works with wlan0 as the default interface, including my web browser which is what I wanted it for