Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello fellow Slackers, I know it's been a while but heres what I've been up to lately. I'm trying to do some digital recording with my bass guitar and my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Me and my Bass Guitar???

Hello fellow Slackers,
    I know it's been a while but heres what I've been up to lately. I'm trying to do some digital recording with my bass guitar and my computer. I've spent most of the weekend setting up audio software on my pc. So heres what I'm using...

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 which has a P4 running at 2ghz with an 80gb HDD and 1gb of DDR 333 RAM. For sound I'm using SB Audigy2 Platinum LS with the onboard breakout box. I'm Slackware 12 and my HDD is partitioned as such:
    Code:
    /dev/hda  WinXP

/dev/hdb1 /
    /dev/hdb2 /swap
    /dev/hdb3 /home
    As for audio software, this is what I have installed thus far:
    Ardour
    Jack
    Alsa
    Hydrogen
    Freewheeling

...as well as all assorted libraries and dependencies....

My problem is that when I plug my bass in I don't get any signal on screen nor through my speakers. However, I have no problem hearing the drum track from Hydrogen so I'm guessing that it may be a hardware issue. Does anybody know if the breakout box for this particular soundcard is supported? I've checked the Alsa site and Google but no luck. I've tried finding a decent How-To but no luck either. I know that there are several Multi-media distro's available out there but I kind of like my Slack set up, adding only what I need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanx....

Are you going straight in from your bass to the sound card? Or are you taking a line out from an amplifier? I've had trouble with running microphones directly to a sound card... Just not enough there to get a decent signal unless it is amplified first. Incidentally, I play bass too...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Are we talking about a bass with passive electronics? The signal may not be strong enough without a preamp. Have you recorded this particular bass using your computer in the past?

Have a look at the alsa mixer. The recording level of your input may be too low.
    I had success recording with a SB audigy platinum. Also make sure that your card is working flawlessly, check if all the input/output are listed in the mixer. Just my suggestion
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    The bass has active pick ups, and technically yes I'm plugging straight into the soundcard but not in back, I'm plugging in the front. For those of you who are familiar with the Audigy 2 Platinum series, it has an internal break out box which fits into one of the 5-1/4" slots where one of the cdr drive would go. It has 2 1/4" inputs, one for headphones and one for an instrument. It also has MIDI in/ out and a couple of other aux inputs.

Would use the amp

With a bass recording like that I will always use a bass amplifier and pipe that signal to the computer. MIDI bass sounds too much like a plastic recording for me.

Would the linux software that you are using have a modeled bass amplifier on it?
    Last edited by gusisfry; 09-25-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Errors, grammatical

Just Joined!
    I looked into this some more. When I searched for "audigy 2 linux" I found a setup guide. Maybe it will be helpful.

A bass guitar has an rough ugly sound if it's connected directly. Maybe your soundcard and/or software is able to filter it, but otherwise I would think you probably will want to lead the signal through the amp before you lead it anywhere near your computer.

Anyone who has ever plugged his bass in the microphone-in on his stereo knows what I'm talking about. It just sounds like your ripping your speakers apart with brute force. The amp's got filters, they are your friend.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    I would ask sth else:
    have you ever used these front connectors?
    I mean, in my desktop, to use these, I had to do some jumper-hacking on the motherboard.
    Just a clue..

Just Joined!
    gusisfry
    With a bass recording like that I will always use a bass amplifier and pipe that signal to the computer. MIDI bass sounds too much like a plastic recording for me.

Would the linux software that you are using have a modeled bass amplifier on it?
    That's all fine and good but I have plugged directly into 1/4 inch TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) input, not a MIDI input. And yes believe me I understand the principles of impedance mismatching, hence the need for a pre-amp or a good D.I.(Direct Input) box. At the moment, I'm trying to establish a functioning system for recording. After which I can move forward with laying down some tracks.

streamkid
    I would ask sth else:
    have you ever used these front connectors?
    I mean, in my desktop, to use these, I had to do some jumper-hacking on the motherboard.
    Just a clue..
    Yes, about two or three years ago but it was with a different bass with passive electronics and it was on a different hdd running WinXP. However, as you suggested, I'm going to be cracking my case open here in a little bit to try playing around with the jumpers and such to see what I can do. I'll post back in a little bit to let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for your suggestions .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast