Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running Slack 11 on my MSI board for some time now ( 6 months + ) without any problems: athlon64 x2-5000+ / 2 x GbE nforce onboard ethernet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slack12: 2 x forcedeth interfaces -1 working

I've been running Slack 11 on my MSI board for some time now ( 6 months + ) without any problems:

athlon64 x2-5000+ / 2 x GbE nforce onboard ethernet / 2G mem / sata 250 x 2 / geforce 7200

I recently installed slack12 and didn't notice any issues until I tried to install a custom kernel ( 2.6.22.6 ). My adsl link refused to come up ( 2nd ethernet ) and I realised that the link light on my adsl modem ( to the pc ) was off.

'ifconfig eth1 down/up' makes no difference ...

I tried a really minimal kernel but as soon as the forcedeth module initialises the 2nd interface, the link goes down. I've not had this on slack11, the default hugesmp slack12 kernel nor on that ethernet port and I know the port is fine because it works fine with default slack12 kernel.

I've checked the udev statements in /etc/udev/rules.d/75-network-devices.rules and they are fine. I've also tried booting with acpi=off without any luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
    Robby

The problem is most probably related to the kernel configuration , since in the default one there is no problem , how did you configure your custom 2.6.22.6 kernel . the best way it's to copy the Slack huge (avoiding entering in initrd for the generic one ) configuration to the kernel source under the name .config .

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Aliov, I've been building kernels for years and never come across an issue like this - I agree with you that the issue must be with the kernel config although I can't see what - I've used my .config from the same kernel running under slack11 ( 2.6.22.x - .3/.6 ) with no luck. It's also interesting that I build the forcedeth driver as a module and it's only when I load that module and it initialises the interface ( 2nd interface ) that the problem occurs. Perhaps I should try the driver builtin instead of as a module. Thanks for your help.

try to build it as a module , and also try the 2.6.22.9 kernel , if they problem persist before reporting the problem to the kernel developers you have to use another Distro that contains a new kernel (like ubuntu 7.10 or Foresight 1.4) , and after report the problem to the kernel developers with the configuration files and with details .

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.