Find the answer to your Linux question:
i know i have posted this in another distro of this forum before, but i switched distros and do not know how to do it here: hi i have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless help in absolute linux

i know i have posted this in another distro of this forum before, but i switched distros and do not know how to do it here:
    hi i have a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adaptor that i will be trying to get on the new fluxbuntu release when it comes out. i am also trying to get it working on my current one to see if it can be done. my problem: i have no idea what to do... i know i need the driver first of all but the installation software for the driver is only for win32. what do i do to get this thing running if it's possible at all?

type lsusb when you connect your wifi, to let us know the exact name of the chipset ,probably can works with ndiswrapper .

see this link for the known card with ndiswrapper :

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/j...3/id,list_g-l/

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aliov View Post
    type lsusb when you connect your wifi, to let us know the exact name of the chipset ,probably can works with ndiswrapper .

see this link for the known card with ndiswrapper :

NDISwrapper

Regards.
    okay when i go into terminal i type in "lsusb" and it says it's not a command.
    forgive me if this sounds foolish. what am i doing wrong?

It could be that you are doing it as regular user and not 'su,' however, in some distros, even as su, you need to make the command with the full path like:
    Code:
    /sbin/lsusb
    On that device, there is a good chance it uses the Ralink chipset. If so, it might already be included in your distro, making it unnecessary to use Ndiswrapper. To find out, do as su:
    Code:
    updatedb
    When it finishes, do:
    Code:
    locate rt2570
    If in shows up in /lib/modules and you do indeed have a device with the ralink chipset, you'll be ahead of the game.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    okay so i went into su and it allowed me to use the lsusb command. i got this:
    Bus 1 Device 5 13b1:0020 Linksys

then i did updatedb and it just went through like it completed the command.

next i did the locate rt2570 and it completed too, nothing came up in the terminal besides what i typed. what do i do from here?

It is Ralink and uses the rt73 driver that can be found on this page. Directions on how to build and compile it can be found after you unzip and untar the file. Look for the "README" or "INSTALL" files and open them with your favourite editor.

If it were me though... I'd save myself the trouble and headaches of doing all this is Slackware and just use the device in *buntu as it already has the correct drivers built in, and will have you on the net in minutes.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    all of the buntus are too sluggish on this computer. i will keep that in mind in case i absolutely need to get on.