Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, ive been using linux for about 3 hours now. i came across this AI program that caught me interest it runs in linux. I dl a live cd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nicole wont talk

hi guys, ive been using linux for about 3 hours now.
    i came across this AI program that caught me interest it runs in linux. I dl a live cd version of slix. but i dont know how to get n.i.c.o.l.e. to talk to me.

SourceForge.net: N.I.C.O.L.E.

i know windows well enough but having never used linux before (only ever used win xp, and just last month vista) i dont know anything about it. i every file i look at either will not open (shows a preview of it tho) or opens and shows only txt and/or coding. that might be normal for linux i dont know.

Well, first off welcome to Linux ^^

Maybe first use a normal distro for a while before digging into Nicole..
    It looks advanced. I havnt downl. it yet. but ok..
    Well download a Beginner Distro and play with it for 3 hours.
    Then install Festival. Read documents about it and play with that for 3 hours.
    10 Hours later you know how to use linux. And how to make Linux Talk.
    Then downl. Nicole and hope she likes you.

Hope that helps
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobinVossen View Post
    Well, first off welcome to Linux ^^

Maybe first use a normal distro for a while before digging into Nicole..
    It looks advanced. I havnt downl. it yet. but ok..
    Well download a Beginner Distro and play with it for 3 hours.
    Then install Festival. Read documents about it and play with that for 3 hours.
    10 Hours later you know how to use linux. And how to make Linux Talk.
    Then downl. Nicole and hope she likes you.

Hope that helps
    thank you im 55% ahead of you. but to be truely honest before today all i knew about linux was A) its an os , B) its free, C) theres alot of them. i didnt even know the trem distro a few hours ago. i got the live disk os cuz i have been playing with ideas about putting (well trying) a bootable os on my exteral hd (just to do) well that didnt work (oh well) i have the lastest (well thats what the site told me) kubuntu dl now, ill have the .iso burned and installed tom. i chose kubuntu cuz i read it was very noob friendly (has a windows feel) and i am a card caring (billboard wearing) noob when it comes to linux.

the biggest problem im seeing (with my 3hrs of understanding) is i dont know **** about linux (duh) the file extentions are very different from windows. is there a site that i can easily look up ".???" find out what type of file it is and what i need to open it with?

p.s.
    i hope there is not alot of distro loyalties, if there are remember ive been using linux less than 6hrs and i am not saying one is any better than the other all im say is i dont know anything so dont hate me for thinking about trying kubuntu or redhat

Well, this might shock you..
    But Linux isnt extenson based like windows.
    you can execute gif files if you want to.. It doesnt do anything but you can..
    if a file has the x right it can execute..

A file is a file, and thats that.
    Most of the Config files/system files are text files..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!

but

well what i was doing is what i do in window when i dont know what im doing, i look for something that look like something i know.
    i got in linux and i was looking for something that looked to me (a windows user) like some time of exe file (of any kind) or any kind of interface that i would reconize. i wont find alot of that with linux (till i learn it) will i?

bah, im very tired now. (if you cant tell, ive been beating my brains in for the last 6 hours to play some stupid program i that was "neat" and im about to install and learn a new os jsut to run it, im very stubbern when it comes to things i cant do)

ill be hitting the sack here in just a moment. can you tell me a few good simple beginner sites to help me look up a few questions ill come up with tom when i finish installing a full linux os tom.

thanks so much,

Well, good beginner sites are in my eyes.
    Linux Reviews
    The Linux Home Page at Linux Online
    http://www.linuxforums.org

And, well to check if something is a executeable run in the terminal the command -l
    and check the rights
    -xrwxrwxrw
    can it say.. the first 3 are the rights for the owner, the next 3 from the other users and the last 3 for the world.
    then you have xrw, well the x is executeable (so you can run it this can be a program or a script) and then read, well that is if you can open it.. and then a w.. that is write.. if you can modify it..

How I learned linux is basicly, I downloaded Gentoo.
    Installed it.. and then got documents about the programs I wanted to install.
    To do this its very important that you have 2 pc's.
    since Gentoo has a CommandLine based Install..

Hope you learn it soon.
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!

thank you

thank you