Find the answer to your Linux question:
like i said b4 im new to slackware and i have 2 issues remaining. 1: for some reason i cant get my usb hard drive to change permissions. i added ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 issues for new slackware user

like i said b4 im new to slackware and i have 2 issues remaining.

1: for some reason i cant get my usb hard drive to change permissions. i added my second user to the root group and all other groups. its mounted as /dev/sdk1 under /media/disk/ that is wher the 300gb maxtor usb hard drive is. it does auto mount and everything so i got all that configured but the permissions are like drwxr-xr-x and i i need write permission because i save fines there.

2: for some reason i cant run installpkg or any pkgtools under my secondary user account. i have to do su or use the root konsole in kde to install packages or remove or do anything with them.

oz
    forum.guy
    Regarding #2... that's correct. Your installpkg and pkgtool commands seem to be working properly. You must have root permissions to install software under Slackware, but it's that way with most all Linux distributions.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by jza873 View Post
    1: for some reason i cant get my usb hard drive to change permissions.
    This usb drive is formatted with ntfs or fat32? As far as my experience has gone, I believe NTFS and Fat32 do not support Linux style permissions. I ran into this problem last week. We needed to play through XMMS, songs that were on an NTFS external USB drive. The box had NTFS read/write support, yet we could not play those files as regualr user, only root. While on the USB drive, I tried several times to change the owner from root to user. Didn't work. I finally had to copy them over to Linux's ext3 partition so I could then change permissions, user and group ownership.

A possible work around is to do what I've done... reformat part of the external drive into either ext3 or reiserfs. Then, as root, you can copy and paste them from NTFS to Linux provided you have NTFS support.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    ok to the first reply. i did make my self part of the root users i even added my self to teh sudoers file btu that didnt work.

and second reply yea its fat32 the reason being is so i can transport it between all platforms. i had kubuntu on my computer b4 so i more familiar with that but it worked fine there so im thinking there has to be something i can do in slackware btu thanks for the ideas unfortunally i dont have a big enough h/d on my comp to copy and format

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jza873 View Post

2: for some reason i cant run installpkg or any pkgtools under my secondary user account. i have to do su or use the root konsole in kde to install packages or remove or do anything with them.
    As root you need to make a directory in the /mnt directory
    example: mkdir /mnt/external
    Then...
    You need to add the following to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1 /mnt/external ntfs users,ro,umask=0222 0 0

Set umask value to zero and it will allow default access to all users.
    Code:
    /dev/<partition> <mount_point>  ntfs-3g  defaults,umask=0  0  0
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First