Find the answer to your Linux question:
So as you know , bootsplash is dead , this was very nice under Slackware ,patching the kernel ,making the initrd and then modifying the rc.d scripts to load the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Good bye Bootsplash

So as you know , bootsplash is dead , this was very nice under Slackware ,patching the kernel ,making the initrd and then modifying the rc.d scripts to load the progressbar . the bootsplash patches will work but not the very recent release of the kernel 2.6.23 .

the project have been replace by splashy .

For Slackware users there is tree difficult solutions to have nice graphics while booting :

Usplash
    Splashy
    FBSplash

USplash:
    ----------

this is good under debian and ubuntu , in general in the DEB based Distros , dpk-reconfigure will update the initramfs and let the kernel displays the boot logo from the beginning .
    but this is not easy to do in Slack , since the only one tools used in Slack is mkinitrd , so we have to figure out how to insert the splash bits inside the initrd !!!

Splashy
    ---------

Splashy has the same problem as Usplash concerning the initial ram device, however running the splash it's possible after the init start , and just for information i didn't find it stable at all, when i run splash test, i get problems with my Nvidia card and X .

FBsplash
    ----------

I didn't try since i didn't manage to compile the package !

So any effort from Slackers will be great, i think the best solution it's to have the ubuntu splash (usplash) working in Slackware ,but we have to figure out how .

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

I noticed that Slax were dropping their bootsplash until further notice too. Damn. I really like it when they added it.

I'll try to figure out how it can be done in Slackware, well it keeps the idea of verbosity wish usplash doesn't , thanks for this info , i'll try to make something similar for Slackware , if you have any idea so it'll be greatly appreciated from me .

Many thanks and Regards
    Archost.

Oh waw , this is very easy ! it's using PPM format (Portable Pixel Format) wish i know very well how to handle with this, /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/logo_linux_clut224.ppm , so this is the file that has to be somehow changed and then the kernel will generate the pixel map to load it during boot, sure to change the image each time the kernel should be recompiled .

I'll post here in case of success .

Many thanks again.

Regards.
    Archost.

Hi all .
    So there is no chance knoz to use another splash system in slackware. howevever the patch provided by Bootsplash Patches can still be applied against the 2.6.22.9 kernel version! but after that splashy will replace bootsplash. Well for bootsplash was good enough to have a beautification boot process , i don't really understand why it have been replaced with the buggy splashy !!!!!!!!!!! .

well i'll be always using bootsplash and i'll learn how it works to make my own splash for slackware.

Regards.
    Archost.

This link isn't really enough ( probably it is for Debian but not for Slackware ), Debian uses initramfs and not initrd, so to get splashy to work with slackware it's not easy at all, actually i still use on my Desktop and laptop computer the standard bootsplash, because it's very stable, patches are available:

Bootsplash Patches
    Archost.