Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a wireless intellimouse explorer USB, that i'm trying to get to work in X11. /dev/mouse points to a ps/2 mouse. So how do I find out which device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Finding correct mouse device for xorg.conf

I have a wireless intellimouse explorer USB, that i'm trying to get to work in X11.

/dev/mouse points to a ps/2 mouse. So how do I find out which device is my USB mouse?
    --monkey

Linux Newbie
    Probably /dev/mouse. It could be /dev/input/mice but that's normally not used unless you have more than one mouse attached.
    Could you post the mouse section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux User
    It's not /dev/mouse, I know that's pointing to my ps/2.

On boot it says something like microsoft intellimouse explorer usb1:1 or something, if that message matters I can find it.
    It could be /dev/input/mice but that's normally not used unless you have more than one mouse attached.
    Is /dev/input/mice *always* going to be a USB mouse? Or is it a symbolic link like /dev/mouse?
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier	"Mouse1"
        Driver	"mouse"
        Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
        Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
        Option "Buttons" "5"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

# USB mouse here
    There shouldn't be any problems having 2 mice at once if the config is correct, right? (1 usb, 1 ps/2) They both work in windows the same time.

need any more information?
    --monkey

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    It's not /dev/mouse, I know that's pointing to my ps/2.
    When setup ran mouseconfig, did you select usb or IMPS/2? If you selected IMPS/2, run mouseconfig again and select usb.
    Your xorg.conf is identical to mine and my usb scrolling wheel mouse works.
    Is /dev/input/mice *always* going to be a USB mouse? Or is it a symbolic link like /dev/mouse?
    /dev/input/mice is a device, not a symlink. In fact, /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/input/mice on my machine.
    Code:
    james@atlantis:~$ ls -l /dev/mouse
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 2004-07-11 15:48 /dev/mouse -> input/mice
    james@atlantis:~$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
    crw-r--r--  1 root root 13, 63 2001-01-07 17:58 /dev/input/mice
    There shouldn't be any problems having 2 mice at once if the config is correct, right? (1 usb, 1 ps/2) They both work in windows the same time.
    Should work fine so long as xorg.conf is correct. I had a trackpad, trackpoint and usb trackball on my laptop. All 3 worked together without a problem.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    try using "/dev/input/mouse1" that is how i got my USB wireless mouse to work. Although i am using it on a laptop so it could be that it is detecting both the touch pad and the wireless mouse so "/dev/input/mouse0" might be it.