Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Besides a Win XP partition, I have a swap partition and a root partition that currently have Suse 9.0 installed. I want to use the existing swap and root ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Slackware 10 on top of existing Linux partitions

Hi,

Besides a Win XP partition, I have a swap partition and a root partition that currently have Suse 9.0 installed. I want to use the existing swap and root partitions for Slackware 10. When proceeding through the Slackware install, the install process recognises these partitions and asks if I want to use them for the install.

I just wondered whether I should format these partitions first (or will the install overwrite everything?). Also, the partitions are currently formatted to the 'Reiser' file system but the Slackware install wants to use the 'Linux' file system. Is this just a generic file system? What file system is best for Slackware?

Many thanks in advance,
    Andy

You should format the fs (not the swap) first. This will ensure that no remnants of SuSE are left lying around to bork things. As far as the filesystem, I'm not sure what fs slack is trying to use, but it's probably ext2/3. Either ext3 or reiser is what most people use. They are both journaling file systems, which is a good thing. Here is a good overview of how a journaling fs works and what it does for you.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks,

Are all file systems compatible with all flavours of Linux (i.e. will the latest distro always be able to use the latest file systems?)

Kind regards,
    Andy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Slack 10 does use at least ext2,ext3 and rieser
    --monkey

Quote Originally Posted by AdyBow
    Thanks,

Are all file systems compatible with all flavours of Linux (i.e. will the latest distro always be able to use the latest file systems?)

Kind regards,
    Andy
    Yes. FS support is in the kernel, so all flavours of Linux will support the same filesystems.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy