Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I dont know if I am on the rigth forum, but my question is about a distro based on slackware. I have installed ZenWalk on my computer, but it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Improvement of performance

Hi,

I dont know if I am on the rigth forum, but my question is about a distro based on slackware. I have installed ZenWalk on my computer, but it stayed very slowly, I would like to know if there are any tips to improve performance of this distro.

If you know some tips I will be happy to learn...

Thank you.

Jonas

you can stop the unnecessary services, in Slack it's just going to /etc/rc.d and make the script non executable , like for example nfs (wish is not used by you unless you make a linux network share ) chmod -x rc.nfs

ssh also can be stopped if not used and many others .... .

I'll speak about Slack , Slack comes by default with the huge kernel the kernel is a bit big because it's compiled in almost all the linux kernel modules and the kernel is responsible of loading them if needed , so it's a good idea to use a generic one, but you have to know wish modules to load during boot process, and load them using initrd .
    in Slack this can be done using the following .

mkinitrf -c -k 2.6.21.5 -m reiserfs:vesafb:intelfb

please replace the version with the desired kernel version , vesafb , intelfb are not more than example , in slack to boot your machine you need a module for your filesystem other wise you'll be in a kernel panic .

Hope this helps.

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.