Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just wondered why my konsole login appears as myname@darkstar. What does 'darkstar' have to do with Slackware? Thanks, Andy...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware konsole login question

Hi,

I just wondered why my konsole login appears as myname@darkstar. What does 'darkstar' have to do with Slackware?

Thanks,
    Andy

That's just the default hostname in Slack. You can edit /etc/hostname to change it to your liking.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks sarumont,

So it has no bearing on anything, I mean I can change it whatever I like without screwing anything up?

I'm liking Slackware more and more, it's such a simple system compared to Suse (which I thought was harder to install than Slackware!). I have found that so much was hidden from me by Suse (like starting x windows, etc.). I'm never going back...

Linux User
    Slackware *used* to be harder to install. Now it's actually pretty easy if you know how to use the CLI, and format.

Changing your hostname shouldn't matter.

You can edit your prompt so it doesn't even show your hostname. Read man bash or the bash prompt howto at www.tldp.org
    --monkey

Linux Newbie
    you can just run nrtconfig from command line and change your hostname and other networking things or you can download slackins which is a tool
    it will help you a lot

Quote Originally Posted by AdyBow
    Thanks sarumont,

So it has no bearing on anything, I mean I can change it whatever I like without screwing anything up?
    As has been said, it won't affect anything accept what your box thinks your box's name is.

I'm not sure if there is any special meaning to the name or not, though...maybe someone in #slackware would know, if you're interested.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I changed the HOSTNAME file in /etc from 'darkstar.example.net' to my surname. After restarting the machine, logging into my user account and starting x I get the message 'HOSTNAME: hostname not found'. I then get repeated messages of 'Timeout locking authority file' (or similar) and I am unable to get into KDE.

If I log in as root I get the same messages but KDE starts and it appears that all my config is corrupted as I get error messages referring to "Malformatted Konsole.desktop file" when starting Konsole, and the KDE colour scheme has changed, etc.

I know I have probably caused this by playing around as root too many times. Should I just re-install Slackware?

Just Joined!
    If you havent done any major stuff for your computer yet then yeah you can just reinstall. I installed Slackware 9.1 about 15 times (seriously) when I first started with it. Then I upgraded to Slackware 10 and reinstalled like 2 or 3 times. Not that I HAD to, but it felt better to get the installation right rather than tweaking a lot after.

And yeah Slackware rocks! I love being so controlling of my system (even though it can be a pain in the butt sometimes :P)...from what I've heard of other distros, they hold your hand too much.

Enjoy!

Just Joined!
    Thanks SlackerWannabe, that's really reassurring to know.

I think the problems came about because I was messing with the permissions, owners & groups on folders in my home directory as root (copying stuff from NTFS to my user accounts home directory).

I'm just going to reinstall and leave root well alone!