Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi this is my first post and i need some help. i have an old 390x ibm thinkpad . i would like to make a digtal photo frame there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

please help instal from floppy

hi this is my first post and i need some help. i have an old 390x ibm thinkpad . i would like to make a digtal photo frame there is no operating system on there and cd rom dosnt work and i would like to install slax on it the floppy drive works is there any way i could install from the floppy drive my computer skill is limited but im not an idiot nether i have been trying to find something for two weeks so if any one could help i would be very very greatfull . thank you so much

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure that Slax offers a floppy install, but I think Slackware still has a floppy installation method if that would work. Maybe someone else can say for sure about the Slax option.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thank you is there any kind of linux i could use my usb works but i cant boot from it but if i could get some kind of linux system on here i might beable to load from usb

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a HowTo for installing Slackware from a loop:

The Slackware Linux Project: Frequently Asked Questions

I've never done it so don't know how well it works or how easy it would be, but this same procedure might work with other distros.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Slackware has something called ZipSlack which can boot successfully from a USB key. I posted it from Slackware's Zipslack section below:

ZipSlack is a special edition of Slackware Linux that can be installed onto any FAT (or FAT32) filesystem with about 100 MB of free space. It uses the UMSDOS filesystem and contains most of the programs you will need. This means that you do not need to repartition your hard disk if you already have DOS or Windows installed. ZipSlack installs into a directory on your DOS filesystem. It can also be installed to and booted from a Zip disk.

This distribution is ideal for people who don't have a lot of hard disk space, do not have a fast Internet connection to download the entire distribution, or who want a Linux distribution they can carry around on a Zip disk. -Slackware
    Also, Slackware can allow you to install via Internet if you do have a fast enough connection (and a free night).

As for Slax, it seems to be a live CD only distro....but that doesn't mean someone stripped it down to be on a floppy or USB bootable.

Hope this information helps.