Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, anybody have seen this problem before, Caps lock led is always off in X but caps lock letters can be used when pressing the button the led stays ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Caps lock led is always off in X not in tty

Hi guys,

anybody have seen this problem before, Caps lock led is always off in X but caps lock letters can be used when pressing the button the led stays always off, in tty there is no problem! what is surprising is if i switch it on in tty and go back to X it goes off !!!

It's not a big issue since it's Slackware current 12.1, i'm just testing it .

Any Idea
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

I really have no idea

Can you get a reading? dmesg or look through .xsession-errors or with:
    Code:
    startx 1> messages
    because the machine may not think it is doing something wrong.

I guess it takes an active step in turning that light off. It's bound to leave a trace. What I'm interested in is which command turns that light on and off? Knowing that would make me a real geek
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Nothing wrong, i had a look on dmesg and Xorg.0.log !

i'm always keeping an eye on Slackware-current changelog, but they mention nothing about this, also they didn't make any change related to Xserver since i download the current and install it, so if i do now i guess i'll have the same problem, i don't know if there is a bugzilla or anything we can send it to slackware packagers ( i don't like to say developers since all what they do between two release is to compile new versions pack them and that's it.

I strongly believe because they compile the X server without hotplug support, ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    Archost.

After some search i found this is a known problem, not only the caps lock led, all the leds in the keyboard, this is a bug introduced with the new xorg-server-1.4 + xf86-input-keyboard-1.2.2 and since slackware current has these i saw the problem on my keybord, the X developers are working on this to provide a patch, but i didn't find anything yet, if you are interested see this mail
    Archost.