Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
hi, I recently am on the process of moving from kubuntu to slackware, am just curious to know if i am making the right move, since i aiming for an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow programming, blender, and other high-end apps

hi,

I recently am on the process of moving from kubuntu to slackware, am just curious to know if i am making the right move, since i aiming for an os, that is well compatible with programming (long compilation), blender (long animation render) and daily use (not much of an emphasis on daily use). so i am basically looking for an os that is reliable, stable, and sort of fast. So is slackware the right choice???

Thnx for helping me out!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Yes, Slackware is generally considered to be about as stable and reliable as it gets when it comes to Linux. I also find it to be one of the fastest distros available.
    oz

Slackware will be all of those things, but it has a sharper learning curve than most other distros. Don't expect the kind of hand-holding that *ubuntu provides with package management and configuration - with slackware you geet a limited selection of well tested and tried applications and whatever is missing will be up to you to compile from source or locate slackware packages for. To my knowledge when installing anything in Slackware there is no dependency checking.

Just Joined!
    so can anyone help me out with howto installing it? I'm actually using the first iso link on this page, the page is: Index of /pub/slackware/slackware-12.0-iso

Am i on the right track?

Thnx

oz
    forum.guy
    It's pretty easy to install, in my opinion.

Just put the first Slackware installation CD in your cd drive, set your machine to boot from the CD drive first, and reboot your machine. You'll get a text-based installer that guides you along. It's generally easier for new Slackware users to install all the packages on the CDs.

You can check this link for additional help with installation and configuration:

Slackware Linux Essentials

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ozar: yeah but is the link I'm installing from ok?

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, that should work.

There are six ISO files for the complete set, but I think you only need the first two or three CDs for a complete install. The others are just extra packages and source files.

Here's a CD burning HowTo you can follow for burning the ISO files to CD if you don't already know how to do that:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...nstall-cd.html

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ozar: can you be a little bit more specific about WHICH ISOs I have to download in order to get the complete system?

btw, I know how to burn iso's to a cd, had to do that with kubuntu!

oz
    forum.guy
    Just to be on the safe side, you better get the first 3 iso files.

The files end with:

Code:
    d1.iso
    d2.iso
    d3.iso
    oz

Just Joined!
    ozar: a seperate disk for all of 'em? I only installed one of 'em, why are the other two necessary?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast