Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have some simple questions for now. How can i change my resolution and setup nvidia drivers? Also, how can I setup my scroll button, and side buttons on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help grimo =)

I have some simple questions for now. How can i change my resolution and setup nvidia drivers? Also, how can I setup my scroll button, and side buttons on my mouse. Do I need to edit xorg? and how may I do that?

Any other question I have ill be glad to post in this thread so I dont make a cluster of help threads lol.

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, you can change your resolution by editing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, with root permissions needed, of course.

The SlackBook will probably answer many of your setup/configuration questions.

You'll need to actually install the nvidia drivers before editing the xorg.conf file to use them.

The mouse and buttons are configured in xorg.conf, too. Much of this will be done for you if you run xorgconfig as root. You'll need to know the details of your hardware before running xorgconfig. Check here for running xorgconfig.
    oz

Just Joined!
    When i go to type in sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.01-pkg1.run in terminal, it gives me an error saying no such directory.... I saved the download to my desktop btw. or if I drag the pkg into the terminal, it says permission denied?

EDIT! Ok so I figured it out somewhat, I can Drag it into terminal and choose CD, but i get an ERROR saying im on x server, and i need to get off to be able to install? Now how do i go about getting off and installing now LOL!??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You can't be running the Xserver when installing the nVidia drivers.

To enter a text-based console, you can press CTRL-ALT-F1, or you can edit your /etc/inittab file where you see the line that says "id:5:initdefault". Just change the 5 (which is graphical mode) to a 3 for text mode and then reboot.

I think that's covered in the SlackBook posted above, but not sure. Of course, you have to su to root to edit any file outside of your /home directory.

Let us know how it goes, and have fun with Linux!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi, how do I edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf? What do I actually type in console to be able to do so?

You can use any text editor like vi, pico or nano.
    Code:
    su
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Code:
    su
    ...enter root password when it's requested.

Code:
    vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ...if you don't like the vim text editor, use the editor of your choice (maybe nano, or pico).

Edit file as needed, save file, restart Xserver.
    oz

Just Joined!
    hmm. I change the display section to 1680x1024, restart x go to the desktop resolution and im still not able to run 1680x1024!

Code:
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       8
            Modes "1680x1024" "1680x1024" "1680x1024"
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       16
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubsection
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       32
        EndSubsection

EndSection
    Is there something else I am supposed to do? I already tried putting screen 1 for the "display" area, and still get nothing.

I am not a Slackware user but, have you installed Nvidia Driver? Which Graphics driver are you using right now?
    Post contents of xorg.conf file here, if possible.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    You'll probably need to make sure you have the correct horizontal and vertical scan rates (check your monitor manual) entered in the xorg.conf file to get the resolution you want.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast