Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, ok so I think I may have ballsed this up. Pretty much I was having problems with having two versions of glib on my computer so I decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pkgtool recovery

Hi,

ok so I think I may have ballsed this up. Pretty much I was having problems with having two versions of glib on my computer so I decided to use pkgtool to uninstall one of them. Anyways my finger slipped and I managed to uninstall something else entirely. Now I'm pretty sure that I uninstalled gcc or g++ or at least one of the gnu family because now whenever I run ./configure it says my C compiler cannot create executables. this is a problem because whenever I install any of the gnu programs I get the same error. So I was wondering if pkgtool came with some sort of recovery tool? or at least some sort of "complete" log of uninstalled programs (I removed glib after this so /var/log/setup/tmp doesn't say what it was)? or if there is any other way to install the gnu files?

Any comments, suggestions or guesses are most welcome as at this point I'm afraid to turn off my computer.

Thank you for your time.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can get some information on where the listing of installed and removed packages is written to here:

Package Utilities

Hope it helps.
    oz

Just Joined!

Fixed!

Thanks Ozar,

With that url I was able to find a list of Packages I uninstalled and learn alot about pkgtool. When I looked at the list I noticed that I had uninstalled a few Glib packages, so I whipped out my Slackware disk and installed anything beginning with Glib and ending in .tgz and now everything is working great!

Also I thought I should mention that I did eventually turn off my computer and it booted up fine again, so I guess Glib isn't system critical.

Thx again and I hope this thread helps others.

Sizeablebigfoot out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Great... glad it worked for you!

Don't hesitate to post new threads with any other questions.
    oz