Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a built-in card inside my laptop that works great. I also just installed a wireless Orinoco classic gold card. My eth0 is my LAN card and eth1 is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

quick PCMCIA Question

I have a built-in card inside my laptop that works great. I also just installed a wireless Orinoco classic gold card.

My eth0 is my LAN card and eth1 is my wireless card.

After installing my new wireless card I did not notice it working. Only my LAN card was.

I rebooted and now my LAN card is eth1 and my wireless card is eth0. After the reboot my wireless card seems to be working and my LAN card will not connect.

Is it possible to have both cards active at the same time?
    I would like to unplug my laptop from my LAN and have it ready to use on a wireless network right away... if possible.

Is this normal for them to change from eth1 to eth0 like that?

Does my card have to be on eth0 to be active?

Thank you

i think that linux will support 2 connections fine, perhaps your dhcp only allots one ip to your machine, and eh0 always picks it up....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    i think that linux will support 2 connections fine, perhaps your dhcp only allots one ip to your machine, and eh0 always picks it up....
    Thats a good point.

Is there a way I can configure it so I can choose which eth# for it to pick?
    Right now Im trying to connect to my LAN and this "Interface eth0 KWiFiManager" keeps popping up. So I know its trying to use the wireless card.

Oh I am also running slackware 10

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    eg, sorry, thats about all i know, is there a reaon you want ot use teh wired over wireleses? if your running a g ot a network , then its really irrelivent unless you hae a ridicouls amountof ram, or scusi drives.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    eg, sorry, thats about all i know, is there a reaon you want ot use teh wired over wireleses? if your running a g ot a network , then its really irrelivent unless you hae a ridicouls amountof ram, or scusi drives.
    I have 1GB of ram on my laptop.

I use the wired network at home and the wireless at school and other locations.

I just dont understand how sometimes my cable card works and other times it dont. There has to be some type of order or setting I can change so I dont have to keep rebooting and praying the right card is going to work.

Thanks for your help though. Anyone else out there that can maybe help me a long in the right direction?

***Edit***
    My LAN card does seem to work when I remove my wireless card from my laptop. Unfortunately I have to keep rebooting to get it to work. Also when I replace the wireless card in my laptop, its back to the same situation where i have to reboot and try to see if it works.. if not reboot again.

I know its nothing to do with the laptop. Both cards work great when they are working alone on Slackware and they both work great together under Windows XP Pro which is my other OS on the same laptop.

Thanks