Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by LinuxRevolution I tried the commands given on the page but it simply doesn't work. I think it's because if u have a look at the top of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxRevolution View Post
    I tried the commands given on the page but it simply doesn't work. I think it's because if u have a look at the top of the page, it says "from slackware ten onwards." I also tried the telinit 4. It said ::::

""starting X11......You do not have KDM, GDM or XDM installed....

I want to use a lightweight window manager...maybe Fluxbox???

REMINDER: I am using Slackware 9.1 and am extremely new to linux.
    Also, I didn't get any option about a GUI. Do you think I should re-install it?
    Maybe you didn't install KDE, or Gnome.

The easiest way to install Slackware and have a working system for a new user is generally going to be to install all the packages on the installation disks. I've run version 9.1 in the past but it's been a very long time. I don't recall if the GUI packages were on disk 1, or disk 2. I'm pretty sure they now reside on disk 2, so if you installed from a single disk, that might be the problem.

I think an old version of Fluxbox can be found on one of the disks, but you'd probably be better off to install a newer version. Of course, you'd have to do all that from the command line.

You might want to consider trying Zenwalk because it's based on Slackware, it comes with a lightweight desktop environment, and it has basically a single application for each job, rather than a variety of different applications.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your help. Will try ZenWalk.

Just Joined!

Try to use RedHat Linux 6.0

Try to use RedHat Linux 6.0 or 8.0 this is ideal for new user to linux.
    Rgd
    CJ Cheema

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your help. Will try all of your suggestions and see which one works best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2