Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I run a program on my laptop for awhile, I notice a performance problem. The system seems to move very slow and at times locks up for a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slackware 10 Processor/Swap question

When I run a program on my laptop for awhile, I notice a performance problem. The system seems to move very slow and at times locks up for a few secs. I have only notice this in the Gue. When I run system monitor I notice that my processor spikes up to 95% or higher just by opening or moving a text doc. I also notice in system monitor that the RAM and Swap does not change any. The swap just stays the same no matter how hard the processor is working.

I was wondering if this is normal or if I have to set something to ease the pressure off the processor and use some of the swap space available.

This is a newer laptop. Its a P4 with 1GB or RAM so I don't see where this would be a hardware issue. I am also running WinXP on the laptop and when I boot into XP I do not see the performance difference I do in Slack.

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Check for running services that you don't need. A stock install of Slack will have a lot running. Did you de-select services you did not need during the install?

For instance, if you do not print from this laptop, is cups and lprng running? If you do not need networking, is NFS shutdown?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlangdn
    Check for running services that you don't need. A stock install of Slack will have a lot running. Did you de-select services you did not need during the install?

For instance, if you do not print from this laptop, is cups and lprng running? If you do not need networking, is NFS shutdown?
    Thanks man,
    I did follow an online guide in turning off some services that I don't need but after reviewing it again I noticed a few more I could turn off. Now it works great. Thank you for the help