Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I made the root account in installation, I was not able to type in the password when it prompted me for a password. No matter what keys I hit, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Password Problems on Slack 10

When I made the root account in installation, I was not able to type in the password when it prompted me for a password. No matter what keys I hit, the pw prompt stayed blank, even though the cursor thing was blinking in the same spot and my keyboard was plugged in. My keyboard worked for everything else, and even now when i log in it is impossible to type in the password box (so currently i dont even have a pw )

second problem: I have 2 extra slackware cd's with extras that id like to install. I can mount the cd ( mount /dev/cdrom ) but how do i run it? I have tried lots of commands (read /dev/cdrom, view..,etc) and looked all over kde and I'm still not able to find how.

Linux Newbie
    after your cd is mounted just type 'pkgtool' to install the package you want.

as for the password problem see if loggin' in on single user if you can see something that is causing the prob.

Just Joined!
    thanks and thanks, but if i want to run a cdrom at a later date (like a game or something) but don't want to install anything, how will i do it?

Just Joined!
    this is for your password problem... well it isnt a problem... your not suppose to see the password when your typing it in... for example if your logging in and typing the password nothing will happen the field will be blank but the password is actually there... so when it prompts for the password just type it in and press enter...

yeah, its a security feature so people dont know how long your password is.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    oh now i see. But I thought that the blinking cursor would at least move, but it stays in the same spot? weird

probably would have thrown me for a curve too teh first time i installed linux, but i didn't look at the screen when i entered my passowrd (was a horrible typist)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    k thanks guys