Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i set up my lappy's wireless network card? i dont remember getting an option upon install, and im lost as to it now....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wireless card

how do i set up my lappy's wireless network card? i dont remember getting an option upon install, and im lost as to it now.
    please click my minicity!
    or its industry more or even its roads
    Everyone is immortal until the day they die.
    Registered Linux user #462038

I'm sorry, but you provide very little information. This is a bit like saying "my car doesn't start, what do I do to fix it?" I don even know at this point if there is a problem, or that you just don't know how to start a car. "Keys? What keys?"

First off:
    What wireless card do you have? >lspci< will tell you.
    Is it recognized? >ifconfig< and >iwconfig<
    Is the service init script executable? >ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless<
    Do you have the appropriate driver? Have you looked for it? Have you read the README and INSTALL files? Why weren't they helpful?
    What else have you tried so far?

Not to come off blunt, but without this info it's neigh impossible to help you. If there is something you don understand you can always ask.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

this is very beneficial because i was at the 'you need keys and gas stage? what are they?' stage. i honestly hav never done anything with the laptop other than ubuntu, which instantly recognizd it and i didnt think twice. thanks.

Well, remember then that Slackware is not your average distro. It's designed for performance, reliability and simplicity. To top that, it's also very flexible. As such it does a very good job. But the way it achieves these goals is not above criticism. Simplicity, for example, is seen from the perspective of someone experienced in maintaining *nix like systems. And have you seen the webbpage?? That is _not_ designed to attract people who don't know what it is. It doesn't even have color :o

So running Slackware is not an 'out of the box' experience. It's intend is not to be a one time run of the installer to set the whole system up. You may have noticed it doesn't even boot into graphics by default. That's because you breed a Slack system by hand (if I can say it like that in English... ), anyway you get to make the choices. And a Slack machine can be as lean or bloated as you might wish, and be it a server, a desktop, full 3D graphical or headless. But you have to build it by hand.

Apart from being a reliable platform, it's also a very good learning experience for people wanting to know more about the inner workings of a Gnu/Linux system. Once you understand the logic behind the design, it becomes very simple to work on Linux in a broader sense than just to browse the net and type letters on it.

If you're the kind of guy that takes computers from the dump as you said, it may be easier for you to think about computers in terms of hardware. Working on Slack will be a completely different viewpoint, alien perhaps at first, but there is a simple logic behind it. Work on that and you'll understand the entire machine
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

im picking things up quickly, and once i figure out how to do the things i NEED then ill switch to ful slack. i have xp right now because i cant get yahoo messenger working, but if i get that working ill eb all linux. it should be fun
    sorry if any 'e's are missing. my 'e' key doesnt always work... damn dump lappy. hahahha