Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, which gnome should i install from GSB , Gware , Dropline . I have noticed that Dropline is not easy to uninstall ( if in future if i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which gnome to use ..

Hi all,
    which gnome should i install from GSB , Gware , Dropline . I have noticed that Dropline is not easy to uninstall ( if in future if i expect to do )and does lot of package updates . Anyone please advice which route i should follow.I am totally confused in this.

tanking in advance.
    -Nick Barkus-

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, nickbarkus!

Patrick V. dropped Gnome from Slackware several years ago because of various problems keeping it working properly with Slackware. I've never tried GSB, or Gware, but have installed Dropline. It installed and worked easily, but was not without its problems.

That said, I think Dropline is still considered the standard for Gnome installs on Slackware these days. Your best bet might be to make images of your new Slackware system, then try all three of these options to see what you like. You can then easily restore the images if you goof up your system with one or more of them.

Best of luck with your efforts.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Dropline seems to have consistent release cycles whereas the others don't. Taking that into consideration, I would opt for Dropline. The only thing Dropline has been criticised of doing is replacing essential system packages with their own version e.g. they used to replace some of the Xorg libraries. I don't know if they still do that because I have not use Slackware for a couple of years now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    If using KDE is not completely out of the question for you, I'd recommend experimenting with it for a while because it works quite well under Slack, and you might grow to like it. I like and use both desktops routinely, but prefer KDE when running Slackware.

Good luck with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for ur help

As said, Dropline frequenlty release its updates but what i have got is if u think abt unistalling Dropline later then u would be in problem . I am not sure on this but this what i have came to know . If anyne has uninstall Dropline he can give a better view on this.

Anway i have decided to stick with kde only . this would be a rather wise decision . i would not like to temper with my good slackare installtion .

SLACKWARE ROCKS !!!

Just Joined!
    hi , in my opinion the best gnome for slack is , GSB and GSlacky , because is non intrusive.
    the worst is dropline , because is very intrusive.

sorry my english. ckt1g3r

Just Joined!
    Hi all,
    How much different the things are if u complie the Gnome by urself as compared of GSB . Does GSB developers modify the gnome src . Can anyone put more light on this matter ? .

Thanking in advance