Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello there, what i am about to say may be just silly, but i tried and re-tried this to a point where i am almost certain. a while ago i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Incredible!

hello there, what i am about to say may be just silly, but i tried and re-tried this to a point where i am almost certain.

a while ago i started a thread where i needed advice on how to restore sound and noatun media player on a new slack12 installation as either not working (to say that both sound and noatun were working great on a previous slack11 installation) - not strangely enough no one (not even the most experienced Linux engineers in this great forum) could help or have an idea on how to resolve this problem, although the very appreciated few suggestions.

well guys let me tell you what I have discovered, (I say 'discovered' because although I have been using Slackware for quite a while now, I never stop calling myself a newbie, as I learn a new things with Linux everyday) - apparently the size of you swap partition has a 'severe' effect on the perfect functioning of your future system! - what i did is, I resized the swap partition (slightly bigger) and .... abracadabra.... the sound and everything else was working fine! - always used the role-of-thumb for swap partition size (RAM * 3 - i.e.: 512MB RAM = 1.5GB swap size) - well I resized my swap to 2GB and all the problems seem to be gone

the reason why I'm posting this maybe useless post is to help everyone who posts thread on 'sound problems' and give it a go! I wouldn't be surprised if this is not nonsense after all.

thats why a love Linux!

p.s.: this is a forum, right? I hope that I will get a few commentary responses on this, just for a chat and see what you guys think (as i can imagine it may be getting a little tiring always asking for help or resolving problems)!
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen

That's really weird, but it is good of you to post something that you found that works. I certainly hope it helps others. Funny thing though, I don't use swap partitions on my home box anymore and haven't since Slackware 10 and I've never run into problems even remotely similar. But I'm open minded about what works. With Linux you have to be. I'm glad it's working for you.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    It seems very unlikely that SWAP partition size should have anything to do with system sound working or not working, but hey, if it works for you that's all that matters.

Thanks for posting your experiences... glad you are up and running, and with sound!
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    thanx for the input guys!
    dan, you get me thinking now whether or not that would have happened should I not have decided to partition the /dev/hda' in the first place! - i guess that would be my next challenge then! install slack and let the installation do all the work - although i always thought that you (linux) need/s a swap partition to work (regardless of who and how it is partitioned) - well, at the moment i'm happy as it stands, but i will soon let you know what happens in the other different case-scenario

thnx again for your advice
    If you get on the wrong train all the stations you will come to will be the wrong stations.
    Zen