Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You'll be fine. I had Slack 9.1 running (rather fine, might I add) on this machine: 32 megs of EDO RAM Pentium 200mhz (only clocked @ 150mhz, I had a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

You'll be fine.

I had Slack 9.1 running (rather fine, might I add) on this machine:

32 megs of EDO RAM
    Pentium 200mhz (only clocked @ 150mhz, I had a jumper wrong somewhere), and the cooling unit wasn't even clasped to the processor.
    A 500 meg hard drive, which was supported by a stick. (Yes, a stick, as in a stick from a tree).

I've had Slack 9.1 running on 4 megs of RAM, so you'll be alright. Your HD space appears to be a problem, just be careful what you install.

I installed a Zip drive and used a Zip disk as swap memory to save HD space...

Just Joined!
    OK. 4MB eh? That makes my 12MB look like a gold mine lol!

Well, to be fair, I dont subject my old pc (Mat) to the stresses and strains of internet browsing, however, I would like to give him a little more to do than sit around in the loft entertaining the spiders. On my far flung internet travels I have come across many articles stating that Linux is perfect for the older pc (understandably, he's currently having a little trouble keeping windows 98 going, poor thing), like here , although I thought I should ask a group of people who have a little experience in the field before rushing into things.

Mat, for those interested, has an IntelDX2 (66MHz) processor, a 405MB hardrive ( of which just 34.6MB are free under Win9, a floppy drive, CD drive, and about a year ago developed a friendly error message telling me "there is a problem with your display setting, or the current settings do not work with your hardware".

So, should I get a linux distro, if so which one would you recommend and is it suitible for a Linux newbie such as mself?

Linux Newbie
    Check out Vector Linux 1.8
    "Released late 2000 Features the ultra stable 2.2.18 kernel This is an excellent choice for that dusty old 486 sitting in the closet. Has the XFree-3.3.6 gui and full development package. Recommend 16 megs of ram and 175 megs HD space for installation."

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=vector
    "Vector Linux is a small, fast, Intel based Linux operating system for PC style computers. The creators of Vector Linux had a single credo: keep it simple, keep it small and let the end user decide what their operating system is going to be. What has evolved from this concept is perhaps the best little Linux operating system available anywhere. For the casual computer user you have a lightening fast desktop with graphical programs to handle your daily activities from web surfing, sending and receiving email, chatting on ICQ or IRC to running an ftp server. The power user will be pleased because all the tools are there to compile their own programs, use the system as a server or perhaps the gateway for their home or office computer network. Administrators will be equally as pleased because the small size and memory requirements of the operating system can be deployed on older machines maybe long forgotten."

A download link, feel free to choose your favorite:
    http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/...linux-1.8/iso/

I use VectorLinux because I love Slackware, but didn't like annoying configuration and I enjoy GUI at least as much as I like TUI. Vector gives me SW without the things I dislike, being a noob, about SW.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2