Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody. The "acpid" daemon is unable to be started. The "hald" already makes this obsolete as I read before. ps -ax shows that /proc/acpi/events is listened. But nothing happens ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

acpid

Hello everybody.

The "acpid" daemon is unable to be started. The "hald" already makes this obsolete as I read before. ps -ax shows that /proc/acpi/events is listened. But nothing happens when I press power button.

What's wrong?

Just Joined!

acpid

The "acpid" does not present in process list. But there is "kacpid". I have no idea why does it not working. Please tell me what I have to do to ensure that /proc/acpi/event receives appropriate event. And how to ensure that ACPI power button driver works? Does it works with tower power button and keyboard power button?

Sincerely yours, Zorgiev.

I need a little more info, but I'm guessing the problem is that your (older laptop?) machine doesn't turn itself off automagically??

Older machines and especially laptops have some ACPI-configuration issues sometimes. Sometimes it takes a little searching for the right settings.

As a quick fix try booting while you pass this as kernel parameter:
    Code:
    acpi=force
    Otherwise, read through the logs (and post here when in doubt ):
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i acpi
    dmesg | grep -i error
    dmesg | grep -i bios
    dmesg | grep -i not # this one often gives much more useful info than you'd expect ;-)
    I hope I understood your question correctly.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Older laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    I need a little more info, but I'm guessing the problem is that your (older laptop?) machine doesn't turn itself off automagically??

Older machines and especially laptops have some ACPI-configuration issues sometimes. Sometimes it takes a little searching for the right settings.

As a quick fix try booting while you pass this as kernel parameter:
    Code:
    acpi=force
    Otherwise, read through the logs (and post here when in doubt ):
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i acpi
    dmesg | grep -i error
    dmesg | grep -i bios
    dmesg | grep -i not # this one often gives much more useful info than you'd expect ;-)
    I hope I understood your question correctly.
    I have two PCs. They are my desktop PC with ASUS A7V600(VIA KT600 chipset) motherboard and my new laptop ASUS X51RL. My laptop is definitely new one. And I just make a try to configure it's kernel to match closely to it's hardware. And the "acpid" handles poweroff fine after pure default configuration built. It is strange. I just turn on/off separate drivers and build kernel. Then I test it for usability. And I am doing so step-by-step to determine what of my kernel configuration part is wrong. But now I am sure that my desktop kernel config is wrongly configured to be able to receive "acpi" power off event. I have no idea about what exactly is wrong. But I will determine that reason soon. I hope so.

But I will take to my knowledge your proposition. Thank you a lot.

Sincerely yours, Zorgiev.

Just Joined!

apm is obsolete

I had found the problem source. The kernel documentation definitely says: ACPI supersedes PNP and APM. There should be used either APM or ACPI. I used both. Just excluded APM support from my kernel and all works fine. But it is pitty that "power", "sleep" and "wakeup" buttons on my keyboard do not work. But I suggest that I should just set up key-sequence mapping to appropriate commands. It seems that they work but did not handled at all.