Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I installed Slackware 10, and everything worked except sound. I've tried installing the alsa packages provided on the second disc, then running alsaconf, then turning up and unmuting the volume ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Why don't you tell me? I came here looking for pr0n...

Sound in Slackware

I installed Slackware 10, and everything worked except sound. I've tried installing the alsa packages provided on the second disc, then running alsaconf, then turning up and unmuting the volume in alsamixer (as well as other mixers), but I'm still not getting any sound. XMMS will not say that my sound card is not configured properly, and it will play, but there's no sound.

However, I have Vector Linux installed on another smaller partition, and sound works with that. Since that's Slackware based, I'm thinking I can take some configuration from that and copy it to Slackware.

Can anybody perhaps tell me if this is possible, and what I'd need to copy over if it is?

probably just an alsa.conf, but make sure you have the drivers for your soundcard installed on slackware, its a more 'bare-bones' install system so it likely you need to find one on your own.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    if you don't get any error messages it means that the problem is that maybe you haven't connected the speakers properly..or maybe xmms needs a plugin..i can't think oif anything else
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    Maybe it is still muted. Run alsamixer, unmute everything and turn it on (as root) and then store the settings: alsactl store 0 (as root). Add the alsactl restore 0 line to your rc.local file.

Just Joined!
    Had the same prob. Type: aumix . For some reason, even if you click save though, the sound settings reset at reboot, so you have to run aumix every time and bring the volume bars up w/ the arrow keys. Best of luck!
    -Galen

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem, but i was able to fix it by running "alsamixer" in the xterm. this will take you to the alsa audio controle. its set to mute by default so unmute it by pressing m, and then adjusting the volume bars. this should solve your problem

Just Joined!
    Hi!

I have the same problem but I can't unmute it? I can't even run 'alsamixer'?

Code:
    bash-3.00# alsamixer
    No mixer elems found
    (This was under su)

I have ran the alsaconfig command though at it seems to work fine. I use a IBM T30 laptop and many other distros have worked fine. I also use kde so I started Kmix who also says that no mixer can be found. What does that mean? It can't find soundcard or what?

Edit: I choosed snd-intel8x0 in alsaconfig, can this be the modem? If so how do I change it to snd-intel8x1? Someone said "add it to blacklist in hotplug" but I didn't figure that out =(

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ayinbee
    Hi!

I have the same problem but I can't unmute it? I can't even run 'alsamixer'?

Code:
    bash-3.00# alsamixer
    No mixer elems found
    (This was under su)

I have ran the alsaconfig command though at it seems to work fine. I use a IBM T30 laptop and many other distros have worked fine. I also use kde so I started Kmix who also says that no mixer can be found. What does that mean? It can't find soundcard or what?

Edit: I choosed snd-intel8x0 in alsaconfig, can this be the modem? If so how do I change it to snd-intel8x1? Someone said "add it to blacklist in hotplug" but I didn't figure that out =(

Thanks in advance!
    your problem is that it doesn't have the driver try this
    modprobe snd-intel8x0
    note that is the sound the modem is snd-intel8x0m
    I am not sure if the m is on the back but the modem has a m in it somewhere.
    if the modprobe thing doesn't error out then run alsaconf again after
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks man!

The fix was for me to add snd-intel8x0m into the /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Thats all =)

Just Joined!
    ive been having problems with my sound too. from reading this forum and some others i have done the following -
    installed alsa-driver/lib/utils
    added the modprobes to rc.modules
    blacklisted snd-intel8x0m
    run alsamixer - unmuted all channels and set volumes to 90%
    run alsactl store
    put alsactl restore in my rc.local
    run alsaconf
    run aumix - all channels are unmuted and volumes are high

here is my lsmod:

Module Size Used by Tainted: P
    usb-storage 62336 0 (unused)
    uhci 24284 0 (unused)
    ehci-hcd 17516 0 (unused)
    usbcore 58828 1 [usb-storage uhci ehci-hcd]
    ohci1394 23888 0 (unused)
    ieee1394 41604 0 [ohci1394]
    eepro100 18836 0
    mii 2272 0 [eepro100]
    ds 6548 2
    yenta_socket 10436 2
    pcmcia_core 39140 0 [ds yenta_socket]
    ntfs 51232 1 (autoclean)
    ide-scsi 9392 0
    ath_pci 38160 1
    ath_rate_onoe 3880 0 [ath_pci]
    wlan 81240 1 [ath_pci ath_rate_onoe]
    ath_hal 133744 1 [ath_pci]
    snd-seq-oss 23840 0 (unused)
    snd-seq-midi-event 3264 0 [snd-seq-oss]
    snd-seq 35056 2 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
    snd-seq-device 3812 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq]
    snd-pcm-oss 36672 0
    snd-mixer-oss 12376 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
    snd-intel8x0 18272 4
    snd-ac97-codec 56408 0 [snd-intel8x0]
    snd-pcm 54568 1 [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec]
    snd-timer 13476 2 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
    snd 32420 1 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-ac97-codec snd-pcm snd-timer]
    soundcore 3396 6 [snd]
    snd-page-alloc 4680 0 [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd]
    agpgart 38084 0 (unused)
    apm 9452 2

when i try to play something in xmms it says:
    oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device or resource busy.

the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer are a+rwx and nothing else is using the sound card, i think, at least there are no other sound apps running.

i have no idea what to try next. please help.

gabe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast