Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm looking everywhere to try and find the following modules: insmod rmmod lsmod modprobe depmod swapout It's driving me insane as I can't find any hints as to their ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking for some modules (insmod, rmmod, lsmod, modprobe, depmod and swapout)

Hi,

I'm looking everywhere to try and find the following modules:

• insmod
    • rmmod
    • lsmod
    • modprobe
    • depmod
    • swapout

It's driving me insane as I can't find any hints as to their location on google, and I've tried using egrep and also downloaded a search script to try and locate them but can't. I'd really appreciate it if anybody knew where they were/roughly where they were just to help me. At the moment, I'm looking in the subdirectories of /lib but there are just so many!

I want to find them so that I can copy them. I'm using Slackware (that's why it's in this forum).

Thanks very much!

Matt I

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Those are not modules, but commands. They are usually reserved strictly for the superuser, so if logged in as a normal user, these commands may not be in your path. To access them you would need to switch to root using "su -" or use the full command name e.g. /sbin/lsmod.

Oh, OK, thanks very much! It's just I was wanting to copy them so that when my kernel loaded, they could be dynamically loaded and removed as required. But if their not modules then..... I suppose they aren't relevant. I'd read this:

1.2.*The Modular Kernel

and was also basing my enquiry on this:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...Bootdisk-HOWTO

Thanks again! Sorry for being a noob,

Matt. I