Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
If with splash screen you mean the Lilo boot menu then yes, it is an option. In a default install of Vector you get three boot options. One GUI mode, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

If with splash screen you mean the Lilo boot menu then yes, it is an option.

In a default install of Vector you get three boot options. One GUI mode, one TUI mode and one Default mode. The default can be quite different from the previous two because the Vector runlevels are a bit different from any other distro.

Anyway, if you chose to accept all defaults an option to boot into TUI mode will be present.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    If with splash screen you mean the Lilo boot menu then yes, it is an option.

In a default install of Vector you get three boot options. One GUI mode, one TUI mode and one Default mode. The default can be quite different from the previous two because the Vector runlevels are a bit different from any other distro.

Anyway, if you chose to accept all defaults an option to boot into TUI mode will be present.
    I tried the other boot options but no change it still askes for a password.

I find this very wierd because I'm not a complete stranger to Vector. I have installed and successfully run it in other computers.
    Now the absolute problem is the same which makes me think it has something to do with the computer hardware itself.

Thanks for the help.

Neal

Is it possible this is a hardware related issue??

I can't seem to figure it out. I know some distros don't work on some computers without expert tweeks. Could this be the problem?

Neal

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well it could be hardware related. But you'd think it would error out somewhere or just hang. But to drop of at the exact login is quite a coincidence.

And that all distro's do just that (Absolute, Slackware and Vector) is really strange.

I see several options:
    1) Complete reinstall
    2) Boot up to runlevel 1 (single user mode) and change the root password
    3) Boot up to runlevel 1 (single user mode) and edit /etc/shadow
    4) Edit /etc/shadow from a LiveCD
    All of these options are described in a couple of links above. No sense in repeating them.

I do take it you used only lower case letters in your account name? And we can rule out human error?? No typo's, forgotten or invalid characters?

If you want the truth... I would seize the opportunity to repartition and reinstall. I would partition the HD to easily facilitate dual-booting between two Linux distro's. And I would start with really easy names and passwords for testing purposes. Just 'root' as root password. As a temporary measure of course, change it to something more secure as soon as you are sure you have a working login.
    But this is what I would do. If only to completely rule out human error. I'm not saying you made a mistake... it's just that the alternative hypothesis (hardware failure) is worst. 'cuz it's bound to be one or the other ;-s
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2