Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I somehow managed to miss something on a fresh slackware install of Absolute linux 12.0 last eve. When it was installed you can have a domain name, a host name ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Logging in help! Need to change p-word in Absolute

I somehow managed to miss something on a fresh slackware install of Absolute linux 12.0 last eve.

When it was installed you can have a domain name, a host name and a password which I have but when the setup was finished and I re-booted all went fine but when it asks for my login info it comes back as invalid.
    Is there something I can do to change the password or username? I'm not really sure which name to enter when it asks for log in, the domain name or the host name? The password should be o.k. right?

Its a shame I can't get past this because I'm positive that the rest of the install was a success but I guess I'll not know for sure till I get past login

Can anyone help?

Thanks alot.

Neal

oz
    forum.guy
    Check this HowTo for several different ways to reset root and user passwords:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-password.html
    oz

Boot up in Single User mode and execute this

To reset root password :
    Code:
    passwd
    To reset Regular User's password :
    Code:
    passwd <user_id>
    None of command will ask for earlier passwords.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

So when I fire the machine up and see the lilo boot screen I press ctrl-x and enter linux single. Then enter passwd. From there I can change the password?

What if its the user name? I'm not sure which one is causing the invalid entry, the p-word or user ID.

I'll try tonight when I get home.

Thanks, Neal

So when I fire the machine up and see the lilo boot screen I press ctrl-x and enter linux single. Then enter passwd. From there I can change the password?
    Yes. Simply executing passwd command will change root
    password.
    What if its the user name? I'm not sure which one is causing the invalid entry, the p-word or user ID.
    Check the listing of /home folder. There will ba a folder for Regular User.
    Code:
    ls /home

Hmmm, I think there must be something wrong with the machine that I have installed Absolute linux on. I decided to re-install Absolute to the HD again and be careful when It came to configuring the Host, domain p-word.

It still does not work. O.K so I decided to try Vector 5.9 gold instead. I installed Vector and I can't log in to it either W.T.F??

Is there some sort of setting in the Bios menu I'm missing?

I've installed Vector before on other computers with no problems. Why is this one giving me fits?
    Its a HP Pavilion 512w. It has 256MB ram and a 1.3Ghz processor. Plenty to do the work of either distro.

What can I check next?

Neal

I've installed Vector before on other computers with no problems. Why is this one giving me fits?
    Is it wrong password problem again or something else?

Yes, Vector won't accept my password or user name either.

It has to be something with this machine I'm working on. Right now I wish there was a way to not have a login! If it were not for the login stuff I'd be using that computer.
    I just don't get it.

Neal

That _is_ weird. Your machine should run Vector very well. I don't know of all the components, but at least it should allow you to log in.

If you boot Vector up in textual mode (there should be -by default- be an entry in Lilo to do that) and log in as root. Does that work?

Then add a user
    Code:
    adduser
    Accept all the defaults and make some generic user:
    Username: testguest
    Password: 1234567890 (<=just something easy to rule out typo's)

Then
    Code:
    su testguest
    password: **********
    Does that work??

Quote Originally Posted by Indy452
    Right now I wish there was a way to not have a login!
    Yes autologin is possible. But it will encounter the same problems you are facing.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Thanks, I'll take another look tonight but I get frustrated with the brick wall between MY computer and me.

Is text mode an option on the splash screen or do I need to use a code? If so when and where?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast