Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, again. I would like to get my mouse wheel working. It works on Debian, but the xorg.conf parameters are different. The mouse is an HP branded Logitech with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mousewheel on Slack

Hello, again. I would like to get my mouse wheel working. It works on Debian, but the xorg.conf parameters are different. The mouse is an HP branded Logitech with a ball (gawd). I've made several edits to xorg.conf (after creating a backup) and have achieved no success.

Also, while using vim, I was in insert mode (i) and the backspace key would not work. It worked before and according to my Slackware book it should work in (i) mode.

I would appreciate any advice on any of these matters.

Thanking you in advance for your kind and patient help,

Peter Feigl

Can you post what you have done before that didn't work?? Also, did you restart X for the changes to take effect?

Because something like this should Just Work:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
               Identifier "Mouse1"
               Driver "mouse"
               Option "Protocol"        "IMPS/2"
               Option "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
               Option "Buttons"         "5"
               Option "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
               Option "CorePointer"
               Option "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
           EndSection
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!

Talking It Works!!!!

You were bang on with IMP/S2 I was using Intellimouse P/S2. Now, any idea what is going on with vim? Its very annoying.

Peter

That's a nice mouse. Listening to the boss again

I have no idea about Vim. You're from Ontario right? Have you got a Canadian keyboard layout? Is that different from the default layout we know as US-us? Canada is bilingual, if we ignore a small community of Dutch speakers, but that means there are different keyboards? French speaking countries often use the AZERTY keyboard. Is something different about your keymap?

Or did you play with the settings of Vim :-p

Just Joined!

Keyboard

Although it may be colder North of the 49th, our keyboard layouts are identical to yours, except for les fous francais in Quebec, who have alternate keys that we have to put up with on laptops. I did not knowingly make any changes to vim, but with my clumsy typing I could easily have made some troublesome keystrokes. To make it short I have a standard 101 key US layout. As do all our machines...

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pfeigl
    Although it may be colder North of the 49th, our keyboard layouts are identical to yours, except for les fous francais in Quebec, who have alternate keys that we have to put up with on laptops.
    Au contraire mon amis, it may be colder where you are but I don't live on your south

But almost everyone has the same keyboards. Which annoys me when a distro automagicaly decides that a non-US locale also implies a non-US keyboard. With Slack you have to trouble yourself with setting locale and keyboard. I dunno ...

... I still have no idea about Vim. I must admit I hardly use any of it's options and I know it traps me sometimes in modes I have no idea about. Usually pressing [Esc] ten times brings you back. I recommend it

Just Joined!

Post What do you use?

Well, what editor do you use? I thought EMACS and vim were the only game in town for the Linux shell...

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pfeigl
    Well, what editor do you use?
    notepad.exe

No, I do use Vim actually. Just not a lot of it's features. I also use Kwrite, which I like because it just has the features I want and not much else.
    But it doesn't end there. Try this:
    Code:
    apropos editor
    And see what else is installed on your system.

Just Joined!

Talking Holy Cow!!!

It looks like I have a meager choice of editors.