Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a laptop with a PCMCIA ethernet card and ONLY a floppy drive. Could someone redirect me to a good internet LAYMAN guide on HOWTO install Slackware via a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Slack howto install network guide (quick)?

I have a laptop with a PCMCIA ethernet card and ONLY a floppy drive. Could someone redirect me to a good internet LAYMAN guide on HOWTO install Slackware via a network connection w/ floppy to start? THanks.
    Ack!

Linux Newbie
    http://slackftp.sourceforge.net/ is the only way I know of to install via ftp. You get their boot floppy, make a floppy to install your network drivers, boot from the first, insert the drivers and point the installer at the ftp repository you're going to use.
    Only one problem. It doesn't look like they have an installer for 10 yet. 9.1 is the latest.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux Newbie

A go go

:rock: I will give it a go. Ill let you know how this turns out.

I just need to figure out what I need and what I don't. I want a GUI, Opera (ill get online) or other browser, and basic office.
    Ack!

Linux Newbie

X and KDE ?

This may be stupid, but is X required to run KDE??? Or can you use KDE without the X windows system?
    Ack!

Linux Newbie
    X is the graphical base. Without it, you have only the console. Without X there is no KDE, GNOME, FluxBox, BlackBox, you get the idea.
    You can live without X but, you've got the video card. You might as well use it.

Linux Newbie

danka

Thanks. That helps much.
    Then looking at the install help, I will use KDE and X. KDE was the smallest GUI that I saw as compared to Gnome. I didn't see any of the others listed.

Im not sure what emacs or a bunch of that stuff is, but oh well, I will drop that and if I find I need something....
    Ack!

Linux Newbie
    There are several light weight window managers in the /xap directory. You'll need several packages from /a, /ap and /l. they'll be marked "Required". You'll want a few of the packages from /n(such as dhcp) for your ethernet connection. Emacs is an editor that does more. I don't install it myself. In /t you find TeX and it's various parts. It's a type setting tool. It's basically the forerunner to the modern office suite. You'll have KOffice so I don't see a need to install it. It's pretty easy to whittle down the install size if you take your time and figure out what you want and what that needs.