Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Jonathan _is_ very observant. Indeed /dev/hda5 should be /dev/sda5....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Jonathan _is_ very observant. Indeed /dev/hda5 should be /dev/sda5.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!

Exclamation Some successs

Upon booting there was a message that sda1 had not not been checked after mounting 23 times and a check was forced. The next problem is that it can't find a terminal. I get about 1E6 messages saying:

Code:
    INIT: Cannot execute "sbin/agetty"
    After that it gives up and won't boot. It was doing this all along. I suppose I should have mentioned it, but I think the two issues are unrelated.

Peter

Just Joined!
    After reboot the entire /manmount directory is gone.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by pfeigl View Post
    After reboot the entire /manmount directory is gone.
    I expect /manmount will have gone ... it was only a place in your live CD system to mount the sda1 partition to.

Quote Originally Posted by pfeigl
    Upon booting there was a message that sda1 had not not been checked after mounting 23 times and a check was forced. The next problem is that it can't find a terminal. I get about 1E6 messages saying:

Code:
    INIT: Cannot execute "sbin/agetty"
    After that it gives up and won't boot. It was doing this all along. I suppose I should have mentioned it, but I think the two issues are unrelated.
    I don't think these are unrelated. Both are problems in the boot procedure. agetty is the last step in the boot sequence, tying the input devices to a permission set. Without it you'll have no way to interact with the system. In other words, failing the execution of agetty is pretty fatal to the usability of your machine :o

Can we go back to the beginning??

You have a machine. You have installed Slackware 12.0. Where you at one time able to boot it, or are we talking about a fresh install??
    Obviously you are not posting from the Slackware box, what do you use for posting? Do you have two Linux machines? (This may proof an asset, I'm thinking SSH here)
    You have a fstab problem and an agetty problem on said machine. How do you know about the fstab problem if you cannot login?

Please describe your problem for me, because I fail to grasp how the agetty problem ties in to this.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3