Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by monkey8 mickx27: using -name is case sensitive, you can try -iname for insensitivity I'm not on linux so I can't check the file, but heres a couple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey8
    mickx27: using -name is case sensitive, you can try -iname for insensitivity

I'm not on linux so I can't check the file, but heres a couple of ideas

-if you do "$ man man" it tells you how you can search man pages for certain text

-If you are using program X if you do "$ man X" it will usually show the config files "under files:" or "see also:" towards the end of the manual.

-Maybe that redhat file is the equivalent of slack's /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

(slack official network basic tut: http://www.slackware.com/book/index....rce=c1063.html )
    Thanks for the reply
    Over the last 3 days I have been searching the MAN pages for any info about this. Maybe I missed something but I did not find anything about changing the MAC address to make it static.
    I did learn a lot about how to search in the MAN pages among other things.

But I still have not found an answer to my problem. I just want to be able to set my MAC address so that even if I reboot, it will still stay the same and I dont have to type "ifconfig eth0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" each time.

Thanks again for the help

Just Joined!
    I believe the slack equiv of that file is /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2