Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive read backtrack was a part of slackware. i do not know if it was true. anyways for the last few weeks ive been studying linux and kernal and everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

backtrack?

ive read backtrack was a part of slackware. i do not know if it was true. anyways for the last few weeks ive been studying linux and kernal and everything about it on ubuntu. i decided to switch to backtrack. how would i go about deleting ubuntu. would i have to delete the partion made for ubuntu and make another one?

--pappy

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Backtrack is not part of Slackware, but its based on Slackware. You can install Backtrack in the partitions being used by Ubuntu. just make sure that you choose the option to format them at install time (don't do this for /home if you have it as a separate partition and want to save any data thats already there).

I have had little luck installing Backtrack 3beta. The installer isn't ready yet.

If you're new to Linux I don't recommend it. Maybe you want to wait until the final release, or take an older release?
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You could try vector its also based on slackware

Just Joined!
    @freston,
    think i should lean towards BT2?

I never tried to install #2, so I couldn't tell. But I give you better chances.

I must say that I was very impressed with Backtrack 3beta. It has some loose ends, of which the installer is one.. and a couple of menu items that didn't work properly. But on the other hand, it's very *bling* pretty

But it depends, if you want your penetration testing and network mapping tools installed on your system, you'll want Backtrack and I think you'll be better of with BT2 until #3 gets it's final release.
    If on the other hand you want a Slack based desktop, Vector is a very good option. You can also add the tools included in Backtrack to your Slack/Vector install, although the easiest and most generally useful IMHO (AutoScan-network) will get you in terrible dependency troubles. It needs Gnome libraries :o

I mention this because I take it you are new to the world of Linux? Backtrack is a specialized tool rather than a complete desktop system. Although anything can be made into anything of course. Just don't expect it to be -like- easy
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI