Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I've been trying for days to install my modem, and I've finally done it. But when I go to kppp and try to dial, it first tells me that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot Get

Hello. I've been trying for days to install my modem, and I've finally done it. But when I go to kppp and try to dial, it first tells me that the modem is ready, and then says that it is initializing the modem, but it doesn't go beyond that point. I get no error message or anything, it just keeps that dialogue box up. I've tried changing initialization strings, but that didn't affect it.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'd be grateful for any help you can give me.

Linux Engineer
    post the modem command section of kppp.it would be more easy to help you...
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    Go to setup->modem-> modem commands. Delete initialization string 2 and set initialization string 1 to: ATZ OK (note the ok). I had to add the ok for my modem to work.Set init response to OK too. If that doesn't work then try to connect with pppsetup and then ppp-go. Maybe KPPP isn't talking to the right device ?

Just Joined!
    ppp-go didn't work any better then kppp. (although, it may be because I don't have the authentication set straight).

Speaking of kppp not talking to the right device, it might hep to tell you that I go some weird results from dmesg. I know for a fact that my modem is on the second pci slot, but it tells me that its on 01. MAybe that helps.

Linux Newbie
    But ppp-go dials the number, right ? Are you using a internal modem (without hardware control) ? Because if you are go to linmodems.org