Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok so i downloaded the install cds burnt the iso properly and tried to run them and then it just hangs when it try's to prob the usb...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help on install

ok so i downloaded the install cds burnt the iso properly and tried to run them and then it just hangs when it try's to prob the usb

Linux Guru
    Is this an install on a new machine or one without any other operating system on it? Which version of Slackware? Did you do the md5 checksum?
    A little more info about your computer would be helpful.

Just Joined!
    if it hangs for probing usb devices, try unplugging usb devices currently plugged in and see if it goes through.

um i don't know how to use md5.... its Slackware v10... um its my laptop its got vista and Debian... im replacing the Debian... i got past the usb by using nousb command but i cant partition my disk i cant even find my disk under fdisk and cfdisk dosnt work properly

Linux Guru
    Slackware 10 was release about 4 years ago, so if you have a fairly new computer you may have problems with newer hardware. You are trying to install Slackware on the same partition you had Debian? Or did you create another partition on which to install Slackware?

I'm curious as to where you downloaded Slackware 10? If you download a current version there will be an md5 sum on site with instructions on how to check after download.

Do you have a Live CD you could use? Do you have GParted or Parted Magic to help w/partitioning,etc?

i just went to the site and clicked on the link so what is the newest version and i am delleting the debian partition and then using the space to install SW

Linux Guru
    This is the official Slackware site, version 12.1 is the most current: The Slackware Linux Project

If you look at the box on the left where the download is (Get Slack) you will also see links to install help, books, and various sources of information. If you are not familiar with Slackware, it would be a good idea to do a little reading before you try the install.

ok i got the install cds but how do i unistall grub

Linux Guru
    You don't uninstall Grub. If you are keeping vista and replacing Debian, you need to be sure you know which partition has Debian. I assume you burned the install CD's as an iso image? Do the md5 checksum? I would just take care when doing the install to read everything carefully to be sure you understand. When Slack is loaded, the last thing you do is install the bootloader and it is generally easier to install Grub to the mbr as it will detect the windows OS and should give you an entry in the menu.lst to boot windows. vista has a new bootloader and apparently causes more problems on dual boots. Hope you read a little about installing on the Slackware site.

ok everything is working now except the gui so help would be appreciated
    BTW how come there is only a root account and no a regular account

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast