Installed the Encore web cam for use with digitizing my microscope. Works just as advertised with XP (Ugh!). It would be more useful if it would work on my Slackware 12.0 which runs the 2.6.21.5-smp kernel provided.
I learned that there is a patch for Debian 2.6.1 that seems to work but their product ID is different from mine. Also I cannot figure out from the patch what is patch and what is extraneous info. The problem as reported is the response during boot "No supported image sensor detected". I get this too but it follows the ubiquitous "kobject_add failed " that makes me wonder if I am getting a false message, see below:
sn9c102: V4L2 driver for SN9C1xx PC Camera Controllers v1:1.34
usb 1-1.3: SN9C105 PC Camera Controller detected (vid/pid 0x0C45:0x60FC)
kobject_add failed for usb_storage with -EEXIST, don't try to register things with the same name in the same directory.
[<c03e86f7>] kobject_shadow_add+0x117/0x1a0
[<c013fba4>] mod_sysfs_setup+0x24/0xb0
[<c0141458>] sys_init_module+0x1648/0x1940
[<c0102ae8>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
=======================
usb 1-1.3: No supported image sensor detected

From what I see so far on the web 1) there may be a patch for some depending on distro and/or product ID, 2) some contend that the "No support..." went away around 2.6.11, 3) I have NO understanding regarding the "kobject" message and whether it relates to prior (likely) or post its display or in how to read/understand it.
Does someone have any input on a) the status of the "No support" situation and if there is a fix. BTW some suggest using gspca but those who tried, cried.
Thanks for the help.