Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I installed Slackware 9.1 I told Lilo to use the MBR for booting. Turns out that when you put XP into hibernate it writes the memory to the disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Viewing Win XP paging file.

When I installed Slackware 9.1 I told Lilo to use the MBR for booting. Turns out that when you put XP into hibernate it writes the memory to the disk (right?) and then sleeps. When I turn it back on it reads the MBR and I can boot into linux or windows. This, I thought, was a neat feature. Now I'm wondering if there is a way for me to see what was written to the disk when windows went into hibernation. Anyone know where on the disk windows keeps it's paging file and is there a way to view it (and if so is it human readable or hex or what?).

Thanks for any help.

Linux Newbie
    I think it is kept in win386.swp or win.386 or it was something like that, but I don't know why you would try to read it... it is surely encrypted/protected/impossible to read. Who needs XP anyway

Just Joined!
    Actually, under WinXP (NT) the swap file is C:\pagefile.sys
    And no there is no way to do anything with it.
    You're saying that you lost the MBR?
    Boot with the Slackware CD and reinstall LILO.

An even easier way to boot Linux is with the NT loader.
    Use "bootsect.lnx" will keep XP happy.
    If you need more details/help let me know.

Just Joined!
    No I didn't lose my MBR. I'm saying when wake up XP from hibernate mode it tries to read the MBR where lilo is, which then gives me the option to boot into windows (or wake it up in this case) or to go into Linux. Thanks for the input. I just read about clearing your paging file in Windows at shutdown for security reasons, if you can't do anything with it how could it be a security risk?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Construct
    if you can't do anything with it how could it be a security risk?
    hmmm....Microsoft made Windows, didn't they?
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    Yup I too think guys at MS can make possible the impossibilities when it comes to putting in security risks