Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed slackware12.1 on vmware. I did kernel building version s 2.6.25. after building the kernel, getting the following error, VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2) Please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

kernel building on slackware 12.1

I have installed slackware12.1 on vmware. I did kernel building version s 2.6.25. after building the kernel, getting the following error,

VFS: Cannot open root device "802" or unknown-block(8,2)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
    1600 675752 hdc driver: ide-cdrom
    kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,2)

Please help me

Thanks
    Geetha

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Did you compile support for the filesystem type of your root partition into the kernel? If not, then you can experience errors such as the one you posted. Also make sure that your boot loader entry is correct.

can you tell me the steps to rebuilding the new kernel for vmware

Thanks
    Geetha

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by geethas View Post
    can you tell me the steps to rebuilding the new kernel for vmware

Thanks
    Geetha
    I've never built a kernel for vmware, so can't help much. If you still need help with this, you could ask on the Linux kernel mailing list or the Slackware section at linuxquestions (I mention linuxquestions because its the official Slackware forum endorsed by the Slackware devs and some of them hang out there).

Thanks for your response. Now i could enter into new kernel. it can ping with localhost but not able to ping other ip, i have configured ip configuration in /etc/rc.d/rc.d.inet1.conf file while giviing ifconfig it shows only loop back not showing ip address. please help me

One thing you have to check is whether you compiled in support for your network card into the new kernel.

Unhappy

Here is the list of lspci command:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 01)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 01)
    00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 0
    00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
    00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 0
    00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware Inc Abstract SVGA II Adapter
    00:10.0 SCSI storage controller: BusLogic BT-946C (BA80C30) [MultiMaster 10] (rev 01)
    00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 10)

I have enabled
    Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> Ethernet (10 or 100 ) -> AMD (PCnet32 lance)

But problem is there is no modules lists on lsmod command

Please give me your suggestion.. I am trying this 2 week

Just Joined!
    Boot using a liveCD, that will allow you to connect to the network without the problems that you are having. Then, find out what modules it loaded and what configuration it had for the kernel. Add what you are missing either as loadable modules or built into the kernel, and try again.

Thanks for your response

I am using Slackware 12.1 on Vmware, let me know how to use liveCD on vmware?

regards
    geetha