Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i just want to know if .TGZ is the equal for a .DEB or .RPM in Slackware. Because i just want to start Zenwalk linux and i want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

TGZ question before....

Hi i just want to know if .TGZ is the equal for a .DEB or .RPM in Slackware.

Because i just want to start Zenwalk linux and i want to be sure i don't have to right scripts or makefiles etc . I just want to install in doubleklik format.

Thanks.
    I have had a 360 ,but it got the RROD
    No more XBOX, i turned PS3
    I had it for months ,it still amazes me!

Never seen a bigger failure of MICROSOFT then the XBOX 360!

Linux Newbie
    If I recall correctly the just released ZenWalk version has some sort of new package-management. I'd just give it a go and see how you like it.
    Distribution Release: Zenwalk Linux 5.2

Linux Newbie
    I tried Zenwalk Live edition 5.0.1 and i like the graphical envoirment , it was easy to navigate ,but unfortunately i couldn't try it all features because the password Zenlive for the live edition when you try it didn't work ,i read the manual and said that to log in use username one , and when you needed root permissions the username was root and the pass was Zenlive but it didn't work.

Anyway back to my questions , what i need to know is specifically if i double click a for example Mariogame1.5.TGZ will it install it just like an .EXE application in Windows and like a .DEB in debian and .RPM in RedHat?

I know Slackware is a really manual distro ,but i really hate to compile files myself ,or makefile install etc.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Slackwares pkgtools are very easy to use. But mind that it doesn't do any dependency tracking.

Just su to root, and type
    Code:
    installpkg packagename.tgz

Remember though that not all *tgz files are Slackware packages. BSD uses tgz as an abbreviation of tar.gz.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Newbie
    Okay that was my preocupation ,if TGZ stands for .TAR.GZ but i see that Zenwalk Linux has its own package extension .TGZ and i guess by what you say that it will be the same as for example W32CODECS.DEB in Ubuntu.

Thanks.