Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I had Arch Linux installed on my machine and I was using GRUB as the bootloader. Now I am switching back to Slack (12.1). My question is can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slack and GRUB

Hey guys,

I had Arch Linux installed on my machine and I was using GRUB as the bootloader. Now I am switching back to Slack (12.1). My question is can I skip the "Install bootloader" step during install.. and after installing slack just edit the Arch Linux option in GRUB to point to the slack install? I know Slack comes with GRUB but I like the blue grub screen that Arch has.

I am not too expert at linux hence wanted to confirm if this would actually work.

Two ways :

* Install GRUB in Boot Sector of Slack's root partition. I think Slack installer asks for GRUB location.
    Add this code in conf file of Arch's GRUB :
    Code:
    title Slackware
    rootnoverify (hdx,y)
    chainloader +1
    Replace x and y with root partition number of Slack.

* Do not install GRUB at all and add title, root, kernel and initrd (if any) lines in Arch's GRUB. You have to mount root partition of Slack and note down correct filename of kernel ( vmlinuz ).

I prefer first method.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Another somewhat unrelated query. I am coming back to Slack and haven't gone through the install process in a while.

When in cfdisk do I set the windows partition as "boot" or the linux partition as "boot". I know they both can't be boot since I remember it messed up my mbr or lilo didn't install right last time. Any help appreciated.

Do not change Boot Flag. I would suggest you to use PartedMagic LiveCD for partitioning. Its one of the best Partition Manger having a lot of other useful tools. Boot up from it and create partitions.

oz
    forum.guy
    I agree with DC... using Parted Magic definitely simplifies partitioning, and it makes really quick work of it.

Regarding Slackware and GRUB, I'll be glad when (if ever) Patrick V decides to use GRUB as the default bootloader for Slackware. It's not all that hard to replace LILO, though.

Hope you have lots of fun with your new Slackware setup.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Oh don't worry guys I have used cfdisk before and am comfortable in creating partitions. I just wanted to know if the "boot" flag stayed with the windows partition or the linux partition? Been looking on the net regarding this matter also. Thought it be quicker if i ask in here

If you are familier with cfdisk then use it but I will suggest you to try PartedMagic LiveCD at least once. You will love it.
    Do not change Boot Flag in any case. Windows OS will not boot up if you unset its boot flag.

Just Joined!
    Awesome just what I wanted to know. Thanks for the quick reply.

Glad to help you. Do let us know how it goes.