Hi, I'm new to the forums and this is my first post, so sup?

Anyway, I made a file server out of an old Pentium 3 1GHZ (socket), with 256MB of PC133 RAM. Slackware 12.1 is installed on an 80GB Seagate hard drive (ext3 for the OS and ext2 for the partition made of the left-over space), and there are two 320GB Caviar Western Digital file drives (ext2) on it as well, with a PCI NIC.

When I copy files between drives, they're completely silent. However, when I copy files over my network via Samba, either to or from the file server, they make a high-pitched whining sound, like a newborn baby no matter which drive has activity on it. The sound is inconsistent though, since it almost sounds like the hard drives are breaking while accessing stuff. It seems to make the sound no matter what data is going through, even if I'm just loading thumbnails of pictures from my desktop.

What's really weird, is that if I set up a Samba server on a Knoppix 5.01 Live CD, with any of the hard drives, they don't make that sound at all.

I've tried everything from testing hard drives individually by themselves, to even swapping out the PCI NIC, and trying different PCI slots (I know it sounds dumb, but it was the only difference between a network transfer and a drive-to-drive transfer that I could think of), and nothing seems to make a difference. I can have one or all of the drives connected and they'll still make the sound during network transfers.

I'm running out of ideas as to what could be going on, and I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with the way Samba handles accessing and caching.

I used to run Slackware 10.something with one of those drives, and I don't remember ever hearing any sounds like that.

Sorry if this post is a bit long-winded (and poorly written, sorry it's late and I'm falling asleep), I'm just trying to get all the details I can out there since the issue is so unusual and doesn't seem to make any sense.

I'm thinking about trying a different OS tomorrow, or possibly FreeNAS to see what happens.

All help is appreciated, thanks!